1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Concentrating

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by secretguyX, Feb 16, 2012.

1. secretguyX

I have a big report due tomorrow, and I'm only halfway done, but everytime I try to work on it I end up on...emptyclosets, wittyprofiles, tumblr, facebook, and youtube.

How do I concentrate on this and stop going on here?

2. Ianthe

If you can disconnect the internet, do that. If you don't know how, maybe you could ask your parents. Say, "I'm getting distracted, could you help me disconnect the computer from the Internet so that I can concentrate on my homework without being tempted to do other stuff?"

Hopefully you don't have any more research to do or anything--do you? If so, do that first, and then see about disconnecting the Internet from your computer.

When I want to work on something on my computer without being distracted like that, sometimes I take my laptop somewhere where I don't even have the option of Internet access.

Do you know what kind of Internet connection you have?

3. Tiny Catastrophe

If you don't have to be on the computer for your project then turn it off but if you do have to then just close out all the windows that don't have anything to do with your project and just focus on the things that do have to do with it. Try listening to music while you work. Always helps me focus.

4. secretguyX

I have more research to do, but that's for the last part. For the main essay, I have it all. That's actually a really good idea. Well, if I disconnect from the internet, I'm just going to end up being tempted and go back online. I'm not sure what type I have. Maybe I'll go out and sit in my backyard and work on it.

---------- Post added 16th Feb 2012 at 03:40 PM ----------

I can't close out the windows, I always end up getting bored and going back onto them. -__-

5. Christiaan

Christiaan Guest

Oh, you sound a little obsessive-compulsive. Blast some heavy metal or something else loud and antisocial into your ears for a few minutes, and that'll give you a temporary sort of quick-fix. If you try to leave it playing, though, it just becomes another distraction. Don't rely on caffeine. Or sugar. Good luck.

6. Ianthe

Are you a good typist? If you are an ok typist, you could probably write your essay by hand and then type it later without it being too much extra work. If you are slow typing, though, I understand why you might not want to do that.

If you have a laptop you can take outside away from the Internet, I think that would be good. Find somewhere kind of shady so there is not so much light that it makes it difficult to see your screen.

7. secretguyX

Damn, it's pouring out, i can't go outside right now. And I already typed half of it, so that'd be a little hard to do.