1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Picking Up a Hitchhiker

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Justindee13, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Justindee13

So let me give you some background before,
    I live in small community that is pretty spread apart, well to get to the biggest city near us you can take the freeway or highways or mountain ways (canyon roads or roads through the mountains) is what I call them. Well its like a 20-30 minute drive.

So today I was driving home and this guy was on a bike and he had his thumb out looking for a ride in the direction I was going. I passed by him and then turned around and went passed him again. I always love to help to others and to give someone a ride isnt that bad especially if there destination is the same as mine. I didn't recognize the guy which is why I didn't stop, but now I feel bad.

So basically my question is whether I can stop and take that risk of picking up strangers. I am 17 and a very big kid like muscle and fat wise, but I am still unsure about it. I have stopped and helped people push their cars, or jump them but never picked someone up and drove them. I really want to, just kinda afraid. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Zontar

All it takes is a three pound pistol to render 200 pounds of fat and muscle useless. Don't do it.

3. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    hmm tough one. I don't think I'd know what to do either. I've heard some pretty sick stories of hitchhikers killing the person that stopped for them. And I haven't heard them just once... So I guess I'd be a bit hesitant about stopping as well.

Then again, if my bike got a flat tire in the middle of nowhere, I'd want people to stop too. I'd check if the bike really was broke. However, that could be a trick if it was a really messed up person. Yea, like I said, tough one. I think you made the right decision. I always like to think "I'm sure there are other people that will stop for you somwhere behind me" lol.

4. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    nope. you just can't trust people these days.

5. needshelp

this. if you don't know them, keep it moving. it only takes one mistake to ruin your life forever.

6. JohnnyBoy

I've picked up two people....both times on campus and were other students so I wasn't too nervous...first was a couple headed back to the apartment complex on campus and the second was a small girl stuck in the rain that wanted a ride to campus core...don't think I would pick anyone else up outside those kinds of circumstances

7. olides84

I've picked up hitch-hikers maybe 10 times in my life. It's always fine, and I'm still alive :slight_smile: I trust my instincts, and it's nice to have some company and to help someone out. You definitely hear some interesting stories from the people you pick up!

I think the other posters have been watching "The Hitcher" or other movies like that a bit too much! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8. starfish

I've done it before. My rule of thumb with stuff like this is "If in doubt ,don't".

9. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You remember when your mother told you not to pick up a hitchhiker? Yeah she told you for a reason. That's all.

10. Justindee13

Im always torn, cause I believe in paying it forward and helping others arg. And my mother would tell me yes becuase well she does it. My town is on the PCT so alot of hikers are on there and are going to houses off the PCT, and we have picked up several people and yes its been interesting, but I have never done it alone.

11. cityofangels

cityofangels Guest

I feel bad for not picking up hitchhikers, but you just never know who they are. Back in the 1940's-1950's (not really sure of the year), my grandma passed by a little old lady (who was about 60 years old) who's car had broken down. My grandma stopped to see if she wanted a ride back to her place. While driving the lady pulled a gun on my grandma and robbed her of all her belongings. You can't really judge who the people are.

12. FJ Cruiser

I've done it twice, but they were while other people were in the car. One was actually a successful freelance photographer (as in several of his pictures have been in National Geographic), and he was working on a mini-project about the landscape that inspired Georgia O'Keefe before he went off to a project in Africa. The other was a set of two snowboarders who simply wanted a ride up to the mountain, and they were big adventurers. You simply just have to make a judgment call, and never do it alone I'd say.

13. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is a tough situation, one of which I have found myself in before. I mean, it's so easy to feel sorry for someone who is hitchhiking and needing a ride in the direction you're going, but with how crazy it is out there, it's not worth the risk of something happening to you. A lot of hitchhikers are probably really nice people that are just looking for a ride to get where they need to be, but those few who give hitchhikers a scary reputation isn't worth the risk of your safety.