1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help in Coming out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by JockStrapz, Feb 16, 2012.

1. JockStrapz

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I really want to come out, but I don't know because my classmates are really harsh to this other kid in class who is bisexual like me. If anyone has any tips please help me.:help:

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there, and welcome to EC! First off, it's great that you feel you are ready to come out and be yourself around others.

Given the experience that the other person has had with coming out, my question to you would be, do you have a friend who you can trust in the class to whom you could come out to?

3. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with what Mirko said. If you have someone you can talk to and trust, it might be best trying to come out to that person first and seeing how that goes. :slight_smile:

4. JockStrapz

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks guys!

5. anonomous teen

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Jocksrapz, how old are you? Cus i kno how immature and crude other classmates can be at a younger age.

Before coming out, ive decided to spend more time.on here posting and reading others posts, just to help myself more with the transition.

6. Marlowe

Coming out doesn't necessarily mean telling everyone. This is the way certain people might approach this, but I think for most, the first step is telling someone whom you trust, in order to see how it sits. I think one of the most important parts of coming out is becoming comfortable talking about your sexual orientation and through this becoming even more comfortable with yourself. This will be really important as you come out to other people in having confidence in who you are, especially when they are not as supportive as you would like or downright discriminatory and mean as is the case with your classmate.

Depending on how old you are coming out to your classmates especially if they are bigoted can be a really traumatic experience. I think it is intensely individual and circumstantial as to your choice about to whom and when to come out. I would like to know more about you and your family and relationships before I would given any definitive advice.

7. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What do they do/say?

8. Christiaan

Christiaan Guest

My question is this: are you going to let those thugs treat him that way? Have you no sense of chivalry or duty? Bust their chops, kid!

If nobody stands up for that guy, those thugs are going to drive him to doing something irrational. It's not just about you anymore, but it's about making another human being feel a little bit less alone. If you are gay and young, isolation kills.

Whatever your choices are, I hope they turn out well. You might not be as brash as I tend to be. You might have a more circumspect manner. You have a right to that. It just burns me up to think of one more kid there all by himself like that.

9. JockStrapz

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Trust Me I have a lot, but they just keep it up.

10. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nobody's suggested this yet, but have you thought about talking to this other kid in your class? Even outside of the context of school and everything, it might be nice to have him to talk to (and who knows, it might be nice for him too).

Obviously you might not know him, so unless you have some way to get in touch, maybe just start by saying hi when you see him and being nice to him. It could make more of an impression than you realize.

11. JockStrapz

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks, I cannot Believe I never thought of that.:eusa_clap