1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I have to make a speech on Gbl rights and I need advice on which subjects to focus on

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by CharmanderGato, Feb 18, 2012.

1. CharmanderGato

Alabama (a very closed-minded, bigoted town)
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I need to make a 5 minute speech Tuesday to my English class about why gbls need the same rights as everyone else and that the general feeling of hostility Is wrong. I live in a very rural southern town with lots of old school babtists and im going to have a hard time convincing them for help. So what points do you think I should make sure to include? Thanks in advance:slight_smile: btw I'm kinda out but not really. Ill tell people who ask or whom I trust but everyone knows I support gay rights

MY GOAL IS TO TURN AT LEAST ON PERSON IN THAT CLASS PRO GAY RIGHTS

2. Christiaan

Christiaan Guest

Re: I have to make a speech on Gbl rights and I need advice on which subjects to focu

I find that people are influenced best by concrete exemplification and personal stories. Also, it helps to use "I" language: never tell people what THEY ought to believe. It's like telling them they are somehow incapable of forming their own beliefs, and it will always incur a contrary response. What really matters is what is happening to real people out there.

Talk about feelings of helplessness you might feel when you are confronted with suffering related to intolerance. When a person who is already feeling sympathetic hears that, that person thinks, "well, I can help! I can do something! You don't have to feel that way!"

There is a simple way to handle people who have a perverse streak. Sometimes, you can get these contrarian thinkers to argue AGAINST YOU but IN FAVOR of your case. Claim that sometimes you feel inclined to give up trying. Suggest that sometimes it doesn't seem to be worth it. If you do it just right, the contrarian thinker just might think, "now, now, don't be so hasty."

As for research, a focus for your research that I would suggest would be what actually goes on at Gay-Straight Alliance type organizations. You might be able to generate some interest.

And remember, always end on a spiritual note.

Good luck.

3. CharmanderGato

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Re: I have to make a speech on Gbl rights and I need advice on which subjects to focu

Thank you so much. I was actually intending to come a little farther out in my speech anyway. :slight_smile: most people at my school at least guess at the truth anyway and it's a very small class. Only 13 people and the teacher. Two of the students are already pretty much pro, so. ... I will take this into account and I have tow concrete anecdotes that will help me as well. Thank you so much once again

4. CharmanderGato

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual

Btw. Any other advice will also help

5. Christiaan

Christiaan Guest

Well, some people like to emphasize the fact that gay people have had a place in our culture going back to antiquity. Take, for example, the many male lovers of Apollo, including Hyacinth. Some of these stories from antiquity are exceedingly romantic. Let's take, for example, the abduction of Ganymede: the god of thunder came in the form of an eagle, and he whisked the beautiful Trojan youth away to Mount Olympus, where he was made Cup-Bearer of the Gods. I think that's beautiful.

Another option would be to discuss the Samoan "fa'afafine" gender: these are boys who are raised as girls. Samoan fa'afafine are valued in traditional Samoan culture for their legendary work ethic and the involved role they play in rearing their relatives' offspring. To have such a person in the family is traditionally considered to be a high honor.

Pacific Beat St Ep 167 - What is a Fa'afafine - YouTube

The reason I think that discussing the fa'afafine gender would be beneficial is that they are a well-adjusted and valued sexual minority in an existing society. Tragically, the fa'afafine gender is losing its historic relevance as Samoa is further Westernized, but they are still widely accepted in Samoa.

Hope that helps.

---------- Post added 18th Feb 2012 at 01:46 PM ----------

Also, I think that this kind of material would give you positive, lighthearted notes to offset the more, shall we say, emotional material.

#5 Christiaan, Feb 18, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  6. CharmanderGato

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual

Thank you so much I will definitely use those. I was also thinking of including information on this article. One Town's War on Gay Teens | Politics News | Rolling Stone
    For a more modern touch. As well as a personal anecdote about a relative of a friend whom was not allowed by the family of a victim of cancer (her girlfriend of over 30 years) to see her even though the lady kept asking for her. Then they tried to take her to court for everything her lover left her. They didn't get it of course because it was I. The will but. It's still an awful story.
    And I agree. It doesn't all need to be me about to cry.

---------- Post added 18th Feb 2012 at 05:18 PM ----------

And I was also thinking of using the gay marriage thing for economical purposes to show it isnt finically fair to forbid their marriage as well as the sodomy laws.

7. Christiaan

Christiaan Guest

Gay marriage is a good issue to touch on, I agree, but I would suggest focusing on more directly relevant issues for young teens. It surely deserves honorable mention, don't get me wrong, but I honestly think that "gay marriage" is more something that anti-gay people use to scare people into hating gay people. For a teenager, it's more meaningful that their good friends feel like they have to hide something about themselves that is, if you understand it, is really something very beautiful. After all, doesn't gay love prove that love itself is something more than just a mechanical, bestial act of reproduction? Doesn't gay love prove that love is something that happens in the heart, not just in biology?

Another stylistic suggestion is that you want to put in a poetic, catchy-sounding phrase here and there. You sure don't want to rely on them because they can get old fast in a speech, but phrases like "isolation kills" and "words hurt" are highly effective if used sparingly and in the right places, with the right emphasis.

#7 Christiaan, Feb 19, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2012