1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Friends, bromance or something beyond

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by yeayea, Feb 18, 2012.

1. yeayea

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Hey all

I'm new here and wanted your opinion on a situation that I'm dealing w/ at work. I'm 29 years old and will be getting married later this year. I started a new job late last year which has me living quite a ways from home and the soon to be wifey. So, it was kinda lonely at first but then I started making friends with this 22 year old guy at work. We certainly started out as just causal acquaintances, but now I'm wondering if he might want there to be more between us. Hard to tell though.

So I started the new job and began hanging out with a group of people in my age group- young professionals 22-30 years old. At first I didn't notice anything about him other than that he was just another dude. However, one night at dinner w/ a group of us he complemented me several times on what I was wearing which in of itself is nothing- but as he complimented me, he also shot me the most dazzling eye gaze that I had ever seen- the kind that makes you think you can read that persons mind if only for the briefest of moments before they look away. Needless to say, it certainly left an impression on me. The eyes never lie - or so they say

Over the coming weeks we started hanging out more and more. There was two days in a row where we happened to run into each other at lunch. By the 3rd day he IMed me to see if I was going to be going to lunch. The 4th day, I IMed him asking the same. Now, 1 month later it's basically a given that we will eat lunch together; usually, just the two of us

We talk a lot at lunch and he seemed to open up to me very quickly. Our lunch discussions became IM's during the working hours. Sometimes he'll IM me just to say good morning. We text about things at night when we are each at home. So basically, within a month and a half- what started as normal chit chat and inside jokes seems to have gotten more serious. We always have great eye contact. When we drink together (always in a group) usually we end up next to each other most of the night. He gets a bit more touchey when we drink. He'll put his arm around me sometimes or give me a quick shoulder massage if my back is to him and I don't see him enter the room.

He's confided in me about several issues that he's going through in life (I've done the same to him as well). One reoccurring theme with him is that he talks about wanting to get girls all time time, and how he's frustrated because there aren't any chicks in this town... but the thing is, he's a good looking guy and could get virtually any girl he wanted. In the past 3 weeks, he's gotten kinda close with another girl that we work with. She obviously wants him real bad, be he tells me that he's not sure he wants to be with her (says that it's not good to mix business and pleasure - ok, thats true). They've slept over together, but nothing has really happened. He asks me all the time if I think he should go out with her. Is he doing this because he really wants my opinion, or does he really like me and that is his way of telling me (ie he wants me to tell him not to go out with her). The reason why I think it might be the latter is that the other day he confided in me that they were supposed to have sex for the first time (not virgins - just first time w/ each other) but couldn't b/c he couldn't get it up (no drinking was involved). In my mind, if you're a sober guy, and you make plans to have sex w/ a good looking girl, there should be no reason why the plumbing wouldn't work. I guess the point I'm trying to make is this: who tells that to someone whom they basically just met unless they're dropping subtle hints. I realize that this does not sound too intense, but when we are together it feels like there is something going on- certainly the eye contact is there!

In summary, is it normal for guys to spend virtually all day and night chatting, texting IMing one another? Where there is smoke - there has to be fire, right? And if he wants a girl so bad and needs to get his rocks off, why doesn't he just hook up w/ the girl from work? Why is he telling me that he doesn't want to and that when he "tried", he couldn't get it up.

I really like my friend and wouldn't mind if he was gay/bi. Do you think he in the beginning stages of realizing who he is? Could he like me? Why else would we become so close in such a short period of time.... literally like 2 months! So what do you think. Am I reading into this too much?

2. Christiaan

Christiaan Guest

Suggesting to him that he might be gay would piss him off, ESPECIALLY if he actually is gay. A truly HETerosexual individual would laugh at you and forget it, but someone who is not sure would get scared...would start hanging up on you and all that. You don't want that.

You want to bring it up in the abstract: "Hey, I was looking at this website for helping young gay people. I really think these are some good, Christian people. They really put themselves out there to help others." That way, he doesn't feel threatened, but you are giving him resources that he could use to help himself...assuming he had any need for it, which you have NO RIGHT to expect him to talk about until he's ready even if there is anything to talk about.

Hope this helps.

3. nycbiguy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    D you want him to like you, in that way?

4. CharmanderGato

Alabama (a very closed-minded, bigoted town)
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    In my opinion, it does sound kind of strange. ... Straight guys wouldn't tell someone they just met that unless they REALLY trust you in my opinion. It sounds like he's dropping hints. Does he know you're engaged? Also, if you are bi, you could be reading something into it. Since you didnt specify YOUR orientation, it's a bit harder to tell. But since you are engaged, maybe you shouldn't worry too much? Curiosity kills the cat :slight_smile: trust me I know it's tempting. If you're bi, I would maybe come out to him after finding out his opinions on gays, but make sure he knows you're engaged first.

5. GoogieHowser

GoogieHowser Guest

in my experience, straight guys do not complement another straight guy's clothes more than once. twice, maybe something's going on, but this dazzling eye gaze is a sure purple flag (yeah, i just coined that)
    again, im my experience, straight guys usually do not give each other should massages.

that would be my guess

its perfectly normal...for two boyfriends

As some one whose been there (subconsciously tried to take a straight platonic friendship into a romantic one), I think all the warning signs are there. I feel in love with my friend before I even realized I was gay and looking back, I probably did the same things this guy is doing.

If you want to gauge where he's at (not that its necessary at this point IMHO), tell him your cousin or someone just came out and see how he reacts. Or, bring up same-sex marriage (its been in the news lately) and see his reaction.

Also, ask him about his upbringing. If he came from a conservative religious community, he could be in deep denial, I was at 22. Or, if he comes from a dysfunctional family, that too could keep him from coming out. Is he from a small town or large city? Oftentimes, that can influence some in coming out.

---------- Post added 18th Feb 2012 at 12:14 PM ----------

I do think us "not straight" people pick up on these things before straights do, but Helen Keller could tell this friend of his is "that way."

6. CharmanderGato

Alabama (a very closed-minded, bigoted town)
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Yeah. I see your points. I just didn't want to point him in the wrong direction... I was pretty sure he was

7. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi, and welcome to EC.

I'll echo what the prevailing commentary is: It's likely he's gay (or at least questioning).

But for me, right now, there's an even bigger question for you, which you need to really be honest with yourself about: Does this turn of events cause you to have any emotional/sexual feelings back toward him?

I realize that could be a very explosive and scary question for you. And maybe the answer is a clear "Definitely not, I'm just trying to understand what's going on." And as long as that's the honest, in-your-heart-of-hearts answer, no worries.

But if there is any inkling of attraction to him... if you feel a connection to him that seems like it could be more than a friendship... you owe it to yourself to think about that for yourself now, since you're engaged and close to getting married. If there's a possibility that you're attracted to guys, the last thing you want to do is get married to a woman, because it will royally screw things up for both of you, a lot more than realizing what's going on and dealing with it before you get into a marriage.

Now, as I said... I may be completely off base, and if so, that's easiest for everyone. But we've had quite a few people here recently for whom little incidents like this have come about, which have, in turn, touched on much deeper feelings and caused the person to realize that those feelings have been there a really long time and been ignored. And we also have a bunch of members who got married, convincing themselves that they were straight, or could be... and they are all miserable. So I'm just bringing this up to you to make sure that there isn't a secondary reason for your joining EC.

You're welcomed and encouraged to stick around the community whether you're gay, straight, or somewhere in between... I'm just putting you on the spot here in case you're about to make a mistake you might later really regret. :slight_smile:

8. yeayea

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Hi, thanks for the responses- I appreciate the thoughtfulness of your remarks. To answer the one question that several of you asked, I will say that I am straight and very comfortable w/ myself. However, being in this situation is a little weird for me because I do really like him and I think we have a good thing going friendship wise. I don't want that to get screwed up. If I believed in reincarnation, I would say that we must have been best friends in a prior life b/c we click so well.

I'm just the type of guy that want's to know who's holding what cards. If he were ever to come out and/or tell me that he has feelings for me I would be completely supportive. Of course, his sexuality is not my business unless he decides to come out to me/others. So, this is why I wanted to know what's really going on. The only thing that I can do is make an educated guess (and gather your collective opinions). My thought is that I can be a better friend if I had a little more insight to who he really might be.

9. GoogieHowser

GoogieHowser Guest

I would then convey to him in the most indirect but not so subtle way that you are completely and unequivocally cool with gay people but that you yourself are 100% dyed-in-the-wool straight.

just remember there's absolutely no reason that a gay guy and a straight guy can't be best friends without things getting confused, as long as everyone is one the same page.

10. yeayea

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    That's the hard part! I don't want to offend him if he isn't. I wish there was a way to know for sure. I've never been in this situation before.

11. Christiaan

Christiaan Guest

You are an honorable and respectful friend, Yeayea. If I were in his position, I couldn't be in better hands than yours. I know everything will be awesome for you and him in the end.

Peace!

12. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You know, one approach might be to find a way to bring up some (real or fictitious) gay friend you have and how much you value his friendship and that it was hard for him to tell you he was gay.

If done right, it doesn't have to be obvious, and will send him the signal that you'll be OK with it if and when he tells you that's the case.

13. Christiaan

Christiaan Guest

Chip, that's where I think you and I differ. I mean, in my opinion--just my view here--once you have crossed the fine line into actively trying to find stuff out, I get a sense...just a sense...that it's best to be candid. I mean, if you are going to respect a guy's privacy, respect his privacy. If there's something you really have to know, ask outright.

I really think that, if our friend here were to say outright, "Hey, I'm concerned about your problems making it work with girls, and I'm wondering if girls in general really have what you need deep down," his friend would probably react a lot better than if there were all kinds of evasive head-games.

I'm still really on the side of "respecting his privacy," though.

14. yeayea

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    So the general consensus is that he's gay/bi, right?

I guess the best that I can do now is casually indicate that I'm OK with gays and leave it at that. I've had one other person come out to me it it was really no big deal, so maybe he will too, in time- if he really is...

15. alex1170

I would say that if he is gay, he is not going to tell you until he feel ready no matter what you say to him. So I wouldn't force the issue. Just make sure you are always supportive of homosexuality whenever the topic comes up, and he will feel more comfortable telling you when and if the time comes. It sounds like you two have a great friendship going, and it could very well just be a bromance you have going.

I am attracted to guys, and all of my best friends are straight guys. We get along great even though I have not told any of them about me. I just value their friendship and would never do anything to hurt it, even if I were to develop feelings for one of them.

Also, chip's idea is not bad if you are really dying to find out if he is into guys or not. Just know that he may still hide his true feelings from you no matter what you do. But in the end, it really shouldn't matter who he is attracted to. There is no reason you guys can't remain great friends regardless of sexual orientation.

Also, one last thing. If you give it some more time I think you will get a better indication about him. Especially if he is trying to give you hints to see where you stand.

Not sure if I could confidently say he is gay/bi. A normal gay/bi person would probably no tell someone about how they had trouble getting it up with a woman, unless they are actively trying to give a hint of their sexuality for some reason. Possibly trying to gauge your reaction.

#15 alex1170, Feb 18, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  16. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is what you say: "You know I'm straight, right?"

17. yeayea

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    This is what you say: "You know I'm straight, right?"[/QUOTE]

But couldnt that be offensive and judgemental?

18. alex1170

Yeah, I wouldn't say that if I were you. He might take it the wrong way. Like he might think you mean, "stop trying to be friends with me because I am not gay and I think you are, so we should never have become friends in the first place"

19. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I absolutely wouldn't say "you know I'm straight, right" because, as you surmise, it could totally be taken the wrong way, basically exactly as alex1170 said.

Also, to clarify: My suggestion wasn't to get him to reveal that he's gay (if, in fact, he is) but merely to open the door that if he wants to discuss whatever he's feeling, that you won't be judgmental about it. I agree that prying isn't appropriate, and he isn't going to come out with it if he isn't comfortable. We have quite a few people here at EC who are in that exact place, where they know something's going on, but wouldn't own up, even to a trusted friend who made it clear, because they aren't ready. But they also know that when they are ready, it's the people that have sent signals that they can tell first, and know it will be safe. So that, from my perspective, is what you want to support.

20. insidehappy

i would not say "you know im straight right". because someone will be offended by that. if he is actually gay and has feelings for you, he will be heartbroken and it comes off like "hey dude, i think u r gay and trying to put the moves on me and im not like that.".

i guess my question is, why does it matter. if you are not interested in him and you are straight and if he has not come out and said, "hey i like you" why does it matter. Also, from reading your post, it sounds like you actually really like the freindship but i have to ask the question, could you be possibly having an attraction to him? i mean, it takes two to tango so to speak. you are IMing him as much as he is you, you are texting him at night as much as he is you, you are going out with him to lunch everyday as much as he is, and you are not necessarily saying you have stopped sitting by him at bars to avoid the touches. you have also seen his smiles and glances and i doubt that you stand there with a blank look on your face, im sure you smile back. so if you think there's anything "non straight" about his interactions, he may also think the same thing about you. if he is gay and if he likes you, he is probably thinking you are gay possibly as well because he may be asking himself the same questions you're asking yourself...."would a straight guy have this much interaction with me....?".

if you are completely straight and if it doesn't matter if he is gay then why does it matter to you if he likes you or not. i do not see anything from your posts that suggests..."ok, i was starting to feel umcomfrotable so i want to back away from him..." sounds like you enjoy his company/friendship. and there's a slight chance that in some dark corner of yourself, there's a slight rush that this super attractive guy that could have any girl he wants spends so much time with you and gives you all this attention. im sure that is flattering for anyone.

my advice is to tread carefully. if you poke and prod around about gay issues and conversation to "see if he is gay", he could take this as a sign if he is gay that you like him and you're feeling him out. also, he could be straight and he may think you are a closeted gay.

in my experience, when i haven't liked someone, i could care less if they are gay or not because i honestly didn't want to open that can of worms. the only time i honestly wondered if a guy was gay or not and if he liked me, was when i really liked him.