1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Homophobia

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by chrisb, Dec 29, 2007.

1. chrisb

So i have a few questions actually about Homophobia...

Firstly i have a cousin who is so one demensional in her veiws i don't think i could ever possibly convince her me being Gay was ok with god....but she has tried to befriend me and it makes me totally question her motives knowing her views, we have never openly discussed me being gay or her being a homophobe, but we talk openly about are families and say we love each other and everything, and give hugs at family reunions it's just so weird.........

Then some of my very close friends are friends with a Homophobe it makes me feel totally weird to know this, i mean he openly made fun of me at my friend's baby shower in front of everyone, he was on crutches i so badly wanted to push him on his butt, but i didnt and just ignored him..... but now my friends who i have been spending basically every weekend with for the last 2 months are going with this guy to Mount Hood...it makes me think there using him which i find awful even if i don't like the guy, i know there not close with him atleast i don't think they are....but maybe they are.....maybe they act entirely different around him, what if they talk about me? It makes me feel really bad to think about all of this....... Anyone have some good advice or any feeling similar to me?

2. sexyalex

Very, my closest relatives are all homophobic including my own mother. in fact, my cousin is just the same but i don't have to worry about her talking about me for i don't have anything to talk about. My aunt is a social worker and i plan on coming out to her and telling her the truth hoping she will understand ad give me some more advise. In addition, it makes me feel bad as well. because it feels as if i am fighting agaist the evry people who grew me up, tough me moral values etc. and when they do homophobic things i get very defenseful and i am really baffled as to whether being gay is wright or wrong.

My advise to you Chris, is to have a one on one talk with your cousin and ask her straight out what she thinks of u later down in the convo and find out if ur sexuality is going to change the fact that you 2 are still of the same flesh and blood. . (best if u could use a comparison to herself or something she can relate to to understand you)

3. waitingsucks

No advice sorry! but I do feel powerless ion those situations. It's like straight people can defend themselves without making the situation worse but gay people can't. it's all just stupid. There's a million people like the guy you described who'd I'd like to punch!

4. BlasttheCloset

well honestly I deal with a lot of those people by not telling them. It kinda sucks and I always wan to cry after I hear them say crap, so I defend as much as I can, but it still hurts. But I know where you are coming from, and sometimes you just have to let it go, but with people who you love and are a part of your life, it can be a really hard situation, and a lot of it depends on whether you think that they will come around and accept you or whether they will cut you off and really hurt you either physically or emotionally. I'm sorry not to have really contributed much, but I guess this is the best I can do, because there really is no good solution to this, no fix-it. (*hug*) (&&&)

5. Ty

Ty Guest

Homophobia makes me cry. One of the reasons I don't wanna come out to some friends is because how often he says he finds gays sick and how he'd punch one in the face if he knew one and blah blah blah urgh its like being slashed with a knife. Just standing next to him and being condemned -.-

/rant over

6. sexyalex

just like my mom. She says allot of bad things about gay people and my step brother said he would kill one if he saw them:icon_sad: :confused: :tears:
    so i just have to sit back and listen to them chat and rant and then go in my corner and think over and ask myself questions like... why i am attracted to men? is it what was intended? does anyone else in my family have gay fetish? does God like me? i haven't gotten to the stage where i cry about it yet but it makes me very depressed and i sometimes feel like killing but. I have a plan, one to take revenge that is so clean not even Listerine could beat it...it's called: the act of revenge :evil:
    where i am already up for valedictorian for graduation, grow up, become 10 times as powerful as my dad is then TAKE OVER MY COUNTRY!!!*muhohahahaha*:goodevil: :icon_lol: ....(please, as if!:icon_roll ):lol:

#6 sexyalex, Dec 29, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2007
  7. Ty

Ty Guest

One thing i noticed in your post, don't think of being gay as a fetish. Orientation and fetishes are completely different things. Orientation means that you LOVE that gender(s) and all that shiz, where as a fetish is just a sexual desire. Being gay is, unfortunately, more than a sexual desire.
    Blah

8. I agree. Unfortunately.

9. InaRut

The worse thing about homophobes is that for those who are in the closet...you always have to go along with them. Standing there laughing and agreeing to what they have to say. I hate that part. I hate it so much. At work I've found myself making fun of the gay guy who works with us (behind his back). It's horrible....

It's even worse when it makes you feel better inside. Like somehow you've supressed your gayness by picking on other gays.

However, I've stood up to a homophobe at work before (my old job), there was a lady who was saying how she thinks that gays don't deserve rights and how they are against the lord...and I gave her a piece of my own mind. Even if she didn't care to hear it.

And just because she used bible to support her anti gay way. The next day when she was bitching about Female rights...I told her,
    "Well you can blame alot of those male supiority issue in our culture on the bible."
    she responded with
    "I don't want to hear it Phil."

Also I've talked to my lesbian friend's brothers about their sister...but they were being more curious then homosexual.

And from that conversation I learned that, I think the best option with dealing with homophobes is to try and get them to see the situation from your eyes (of if your in the closet...someone elses eyes). For example,
    "What makes you think that I wouldn't change if I could?"
    "Why does god want us to feel insecure about who we are?"

10. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    The best thing you can do to end homophobia amongst your friends and family is to live your life openly and honestly. Let them see the beautiful person that you are.

11. CrimsonThunder

Sounds hot lol.

12. chrisb

Becky that really is the best advice...i want to thank you for it..... ever since i came out i've been very open about being gay, and still doing everything i like to do, i mean i have a myspace my homophobic cousin has a myspace also she comments me i comment her....she doesnt bother commenting my pics though that's for sure....but i'm positive she's seen them....i wouldnt doubt she shows people and laughs at me, i made the silly mistake of saying in a bulletin i wouldnt use a public restroom unless there was sanitary napkins....stupid mistake as what i meant was toilet covers i dont know why i said the other thinking that's what they we're called......but she gave a me a weird message saying why would you need sanitary napkins and then said nevermind i really dont want to know......

She's really a snob i thought that before i came out but she is my blood and i do love her, i'm not someone who could ever disown a family member even if i knew they hated a major part of who i am.... But i would like to get a better relationship with her hoping maybe i could let her see who i am, instead of her pre judging me based on what she's heard or what her bible tells her..... honestly i'd love to have a verbal debate with her, no matter how pissed off she got it would never hurt me....but i'd love for her to say something bad about me to my face as that would give me more of a reason to show her more love..... i will never show her that i hate her at all just love and maybe her hate will leave her eventually.