1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does he have feeling for me?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Felix, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Felix

Hi, I'm pretty new to this.

I have always believed I was straight, and am still attracted to girls, but there has been this guy who I think I may be attracted to. When we first became friends, we got very close very quickly, and within a few months, we knew virtually everything about each other. We spent hours together, and did a lot of things together, usually stuff people would do by themselves, like going into town to get something etc. He has had a lot of girlfriends over the year, and has one currently and has had for about the same time him and I have been close. He used to be quasi-homophobic, but not as much anymore. A few of my friends think that he could be gay, but they don't know why, just a feeling, one of which is actually gay himself.
    He admits he doesn't show emotion in public and that he is very insecure with himself and doesn't have much confidence and likes to fit in with people (Maybe why he has a girlfriend). He rarely saw his girlfriend, and spent months flirting with other girls, and didn't seem to spend much time with her. It's only recently, after nearly a year that he's starting to spend more time with her, and actually talk about her when he's with us.
    We have told each other that we would be there for each other, and said that we are best friends with each other. I am the only guy that he is very close to, and possibly the only guy that he's been very close to. Anyone else who he would consider a close friend is female. He doesn't act stereotypically gay in anyway, so I can't give any evidence there, he's completely straight-acting, as am I.
    Any time I went anywhere, he always wanted to know, or who I was with. Even sitting in class, he would always poke me or steal my stuff. Or when I was getting past him to get to my chair at break or something he would make me fall so I fell on top of him. He once crashed a date of mine with a girl, and any time I try something with a girl, he likes to know about it.
    He has never been this close to any one else as he has been with me, especially not for this long.
    Like me, he is very religious, so maybe that could be preventing him from doing anything. He has a place online where he writes down all of his emotions since he finds it hard to in real life. He says about girls that he has feelings for and all, but they change quite a bit, and I'm pretty sure he hasn't told his girlfriend about this place, since it says how even though he has a girlfriend, he would rather chase after someone else.
    He said to me he wouldn't mind if I was gay, and I said the same to him, and he replied with "Good". But one time, he thought I fancied him, but I said I didn't and denied it, but he got angry at got more distant from me. Why would anyone who was a best friend do that? Maybe he is afraid of his feelings?
    In the past few months, he has become more distant from me, but I don't know why. He's been different this past year or so, less like himself and more like well everyone else.

I know this isn't a lot to go from, but are you able to tell if he possibly has gay feeling towards me? we are going to university next year, so still in school. Please ask more questions as it is hard to think off the top of my head everything.
    I also want to know, can a guy still be gay if he has had a girlfriend for a year-ish like the way I just described? Could it be a cover-up. I know that they haven't done anything beyond kissing. He has before, but has refused to being touched by a girl, only he does the "touching" apparaently
    Thanks for all your help,

Felix

2. gleekfanatic

gleekfanatic Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    First of all, welcome to EC, B here, it's nice to meet you :smilewave
    Ok first of all, it sounds like he wants you dude, but doesn't want to say it out loud. When he said that he wouldn't mind if you were gay, and replied as such, then said good, that's a sure sign that he's gay (or a bicurious dude) and that he def wants you. The fact that he has withdrawn from you just proves that he's trying to get over you, upset that you didn't pick up on his earlier signals. He basically gave you opportunities to do something about your feelings for him (I'm sure he picked up on that)...

3. Felix

Thanks for your reply.
    I don't think it's because it's because I didn't act on them earlier. I sort of half-did, messing around, jumping on him, having deep conversations with him. I told him once that I thought about him a lot, and what he thought it could mean. He got a bit distant, and accused me of fancying him even though I didn't actually say that.
    Could he be getting more distant because it goes against what he wants to be, and is forcing himself to not be attracted to me? Could that be why he is starting to spend more time with his girlfriend all of a sudden?

4. Artemicion

Hello Felix,

Welcome to EC!

Now, for the questions:
    My answer is yes, a person can still be gay if he has a girlfriend. But there can be many reasons why he has a girlfriend. I would also mention that it is not a choice when it comes to being gay. So being with a girlfriend does not make them straight IF he really is gay. Although I would not discount the fact that he can be straight or bisexual since you mention he feels insecure of himself. End verdict, you won't know unless he tells you.

Secondly, I would agree with gleekfanatic above. Although he has withdrawn from you, it can possibly be because he's trying to follow his religious beliefs? I'm not sure which religion you both are following, but I am assuming Christian which tends to bring up problems in regards to homosexuality. I think he's possibly in denial....

-F

5. gleekfanatic

gleekfanatic Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

Now, that I think about it, he night be in denial, and that's why he's not talking to you...I'm sorry that this is happening, but it happens. I know you like him, but I think the only thing to do is to talk to him alone, and tell him to be honest with himself and you and have that conversation about your sexualities...

6. TheAMan

This has "I like you dude but it's just so hard to tell you" written all over it. You said he said he'd be fine if you're gay so I'd tell him how you feel. Sit him down one day and bring it up. It's ok to make the first move.

7. Felix

Do mean as in he wants to tell me but can't, or vice versa?

8. gleekfanatic

gleekfanatic Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think TheAman means both...
    But I agree, sounds like you both are afraid of making the first move....
    Just do it already! lol Just kidding. NO, not really, do it. Meet up with him and tell him how you feel. One of you has to do it, and since it seems like it won't be him any time soon, then...you should do it. Good luck!

9. TheAMan

I meant both ways and gleekfanatic pretty much summed it up.