1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No....no....no....no....yes....maybe?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by LaplaceScramble, Feb 20, 2012.

1. LaplaceScramble

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ever since I told myself i wasn't male, I started looking at every other gender identity out there. Right away I was able to say either it did or did not apply to me. I knew Bigender didn't apply to me because I did not feel like both genders. I say pangender applies to me because...before I finish that thought I just wanna backtrack. Like I said, I've been able to say what I am and am not...and while I can't say I'm female....I can't say I'm not....Which get's to my questions....what the hell do I do :help:

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Given that you don't identify 'easily' with a gender at this point, and are trying to figure things out, it's okay to say 'I'm pan-gender' or perhaps even 'I'm unsure.' Do you need a label for your gender?

As with anything in life, figuring out your gender identity, starting from the inside, and then move to the outside, is going to take some time. First and foremost, I would suggest that you start with the inside, and try to understand what makes you, you.

(*hug*)

3. LaplaceScramble

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's what I've been trying to do...but no matter how I feel on the inside, as I am now, there's nothing even remotely androgynous about me...maybe if that was the case it'd be easier, but I'm stuck with an incredibly male body which makes it harder...like, no matter how I feel on the inside, I'm stuck with this body that doesn't care what I feel on the inside.

4. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! The more you focus on what is on the outside, the harder it will be for you to shift your attention to your inner feelings. Try to accept your outside body for what it is at the moment and then shift your focus to the inside. Only then will you be able to start feeling what's going on inside of you. This is how your body starts caring and taking note of inner voices as it were.

Have you tried talking to a counselor about your feelings and struggles to come to terms with your gender? (*hug*)

5. LaplaceScramble

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm considering talking to a councelour....but I just don't really know what I would say..."hey there, I think i have GID"...."I don't know what gender I am...oh, what's that? I look like a man? Well see here's the problem..."
    There have been times when I've tried to act more fem, but it just comes off as fem gay so I stopped trying...when I think of myself as a man I feel depressed...I've looked back at my life, and what I originally thought was me just checking women out was me being jealous of what they had...smooth skin, shapely hips, breasts, smaller figures.....then I imagine what my life would be like if I tried to undergo HRT. From what I've heard you need to live for x amount of time as the opposite gender before you even get the actual hormones. Then I think...well...I'd dress about the same , so what would I have to do? Start getting called 'she' 'her' 'ma'am' 'miss' stuff like that? If that's all then how the hell am I gonna not look like some freak....

If I had to describe myself...I don't know...maybe tomboy. I've always felt boyish...but thats it. not felt like aboy, but boyish, I liked ACTING like a boy....

6. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't look now but you have already mentioned your first opening lines! :slight_smile:

See, a counselor will be able to pick up on what you have said, and be able to start asking some further probing questions. It's okay if you are not sure what's going on inside of you. This is the reason why you are seeking help.

You have mentioned several things/points that you really should delve deeper, and try to understand them first on their own terms before trying to bring it all together, even though everything that you have mentioned is interrelated. Try to start talking to someone about your thoughts and feelings.

7. LaplaceScramble

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Just from typing that out I think it helped a little bit...especially when I was saying all the things I was jealous of a women, I realized there was a lot more...what that means though, I don't know

8. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is already one tiny step forward! :slight_smile:

The more you start thinking about the meanings, and the associated feelings of the things you write out, the more you will start making connections to other things. Sometimes, while doing that you will uncover new things, while at other times you might find that thoughts and feelings, which have occurred previously, have a greater clarity to them.

However, this is also where talking out loud comes in. When you hear yourself talking about your feelings, and the associated thoughts, you might be able to start pulling seemingly loose strings together that will give you further insights about your inner feelings. (*hug*)

9. LaplaceScramble

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've watched a bunch of trans MtF videos on youtube, just them talking about how everything is and, I don't really know what to call it, I get this warm feeling watching them, like I'm happy for them. Not happy like "oh, they're who they want to be" but a different kind...

On a slight detour of topic, the answer to which you may or may not know, how are transgender people viewed in Canada (my info says I'm in Nova Scotia, but I'm moving there in September, still in California)? Maybe it's different for each province, but at least in BC.

10. Katelynn

I can sympathize with how you feel. Ive always looked at my body & hated it, & Ive always looked at women & wished I had their body myself as well. And Ive always wondered how well HRT would work for me. I finally came out as trans at the end of June, & at the end of January, I saw my endocrinologist & was put on HRT. I have the same worries about how effective HRT would be for me, but then I saw this video. Jesslyn is 23 & transitioning & the amount of change she had in 2 years is nothing short of amazing! MTF 2 year transition - YouTube Check out this vid, it will help a bit! I was amazed at how much change was involved! Hormones change A LOT! Ive already had a few trans people, as well as cisgender people, tell me that the hormones will do wonders for me, so dont discount how well they may help if thats the path you choose.

As for getting on HRT, my endo operates on an informed consent model, meaning that if a person understands the risks involved with being on hormones (risk of blood clots, risks to the liver, etc), then hormones are available to that person. I know a friend who lives in eastern Canada who did online consultations & sort of like therapy chats, in a way, but not really therapy, with my endo here in ON, & after 2 months (I think thats how long she said it took), my endo recommended & gave her the percriptions to start her HRT. And this was done online between my friend in NS & my endo in ON, so there are options available. While I did take the time to see a therapist IRL, I knew I was sure about transitioning & felt that seeing my endo was the best choice for me. It saved me a lot of therapy that I felt was unneccesary in my case & a lot of money for that therapy just to be able to get onn HRT. Best thing of all, I have a very qualified medical professional supervising my transition, which is something I was adamant about. In your case, it sounds like youre still unsure a bit about your own gender identity, so at least consulting a therapist for the purposes of sorting out those issues may be best for you. But you dont necessarily have to go thru a therapist & wait a huge amount of time in order to get on HRT prescribed by an endocrinologist!

11. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Every feeling that you get, warm, cold, or even an indifferent feeling, are clues and indications of what's happening inside of you. One of the things we always want to do is to jump to conclusions and try to find answers, and put a label on. We want to be able to say: 'this is it!' But sometimes, reality is different, and sometimes, labeling feelings and thoughts can actually lead us to not fully explore or understand them.

Well, I think it depends on where you live. In larger cities, Montreal, Toronto, or Vancouver, I think transgender people have it (relatively) easier than in smaller communities. Alberta, or more rural areas that tend to be a lot more conservative, the story of course is different. It doesn't help the government continues to make it difficult for them to be a fully integrated whole of Canadian society.

In the area where I live, and having friends who are transgender, they are very accepted by the larger society and haven't faced discrimination based on the fact that they are transgender. Actually where I live there are a few support groups for transgender people, and a number of designated 'safe' places. A few public venues have installed gender neutral washrooms.

12. LaplaceScramble

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ya kiersten, I've watched every single one of her videos, and I love them all!

I think I may have fallen victim to that on a number of ocassion, which is just making this even more confusing

I'm going to be going to a relatively small college in Nova Scotia sooo.....well, I've heard it's relatively ok there, but I've thought about, after school, going to an area where there are more transpeople who live in the area.

13. Katelynn

I know some people in NS who are trans, & they are all very supportive of each other. Jennifer McCreath is a trans activist out that way, I believe she is in Newfoundland, & I do know a few trans people in NS as well. You may have to do some searching, but there is a trans community in NS. They may be close to you & I think talking with them may possibly help you as well. You may have to do some searching online to see if you can find them, but I know talking with people who are & have gone thru what you & I have felt & are feeling now was very helpful for me!

14. LaplaceScramble

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, awhile ago I talked to the head of the GSA club at the school I'm attending, and he said, though graduated, there is a trans man who attends the meeting. So I'm glad of that. How long have you been doing HRT for, kiersten?

15. Katelynn

Actually, I was just put on HRT on Jan 30th & had the prescriptions for me, but I am starting this week on HRT, since I had to sort out how to pay for everything first. I got a bit lucky & found out last week that my college's student health insurance covers 80% of all 3 of my HRT meds, so yay! Im super excited about going to the pharmacy this week!!!

16. LaplaceScramble

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Don't mean to pester anymore, but how long did it take you to fully come to the realization that you had the wrong body?

17. Katelynn

Ive known I was a girl since I was 6 years old, but had the hardest time dealing with it. I cant begin to tell you how many times my mom caught me wearing girls clothes/underwear/bras etc starting around age 8 & all the way thru & including my 20s. Ive also known I was a lesbian since I was about the age of 12, but it didnt really hit home for me that I was a gay girl until the first time I has sex when I was 19. I felt so disgusted with my body & myself over what I had done, despite being hugely attracted to the girl I had been with. It felt unnatural & just plain wrong, so much so, that it was another 2 years since I had sex again with a girl. In fact, sex is so upsetting for me, having the wrong body, that I stopped about 7 years ago this May. I know that's a bit more than you asked, but long story short, Ive known I was a girl since I was 6 & Ive wanted a normal female body since I was 6. I didnt deal very well with it over the years. I spent a lot of my life drinking heavily & I still have issues with binge eating when Im upset, but since I finally came out, Ive been much better at coping healthier & being happier than I have been for pretty much my whole life. And I found that all of my friends were the amazing, caring & supportive people Ive always thought they were. I am out to all of my friends, both all of the ones Ive known for years, including the ones Ive known for like 20 years, as well as all of my more recent friends that Ive either only known for the last year or two & the ones I just met in September when I started college, & I did not lose one single friend at all. I count myself extremely lucky to have so many incredible people in my life, I really do. I dont think Id be starting on HRT now without everyone's love & support.

Sorry for such a long & roundabout & sometimes unrelated answer, but you are most certainly not pestering me! You can always ask me questions &, if I can help or I have an answer, Ill be more than happy to get back to you! Ill be honest tho, I dont know everything, since Im a girl learning her way thru the process as well! lol! Transitioning tends to be a process that is different for everyone, but there are certainn aspects that are similar for all of us! A lot of what I know is from what Ive researched online. If youre looking for some good sites, I recommend Transsexual Road Map . One of the best sites Ive seen for info on transitioning, and the woman who runs the site, Andrea James, really knows her stuff! It's a good place to start if you're looking for info! Be wary, some sites are better for reliable info than others tho...

18. LaplaceScramble

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Don't worry about whether that was too long. That was actually really helpful. When I was a kid I also enjoyed playing dressup...specifically with pretty clothes and high heels (which is helping to muddle things in my mind now) but I doubt I would ever really wear 'girly' clothes (feeling more like a tomboy). And thank you for the link, I'll make sure to make use of it. Hopefully some of that stuff will help me out. The only issue I can think of that's obvious in my head, is whether I'd rather stay an average looking male, or risk looking like an ugly female...

19. Katelynn

Well, one way to think of it is this way: are you happy inside a male body or if you were to wake up tomorrow, still yourself, but in a female body. Would you be alarmed or upset that you had a female body or would you feel more yourself? Would you want to go back to being male as soon as you could or would you feel like you wanted to see how things felt first in your new body? Anyway, that's one way to think about it...

As for transitioning, I wouldnt worry about how you look. Keep in mind that there are many, many cisgendered women who were born female that are less than attractive by society's standards, but they are still female. It's the same for trans women as well. Just because you may not look like Jessica Biel, it shouldnt be the only criteria for if you want to transition. Like I said, homones change A LOT, so take that into account. Also, youre in a fortunate position at your age to be considering everything, since transitioning sooner rather than later is better. Your body is still not set in stone as far as hormones & biology go in many respects, so you have time in your favour at the moment! So starting now on HRT or in the next couple of years would be much better than if you decided to start HRT say, in your 50s. Dont discount yourself based only on outward appearances, since transtioning isnt only just about matching what society says is beautiful. Honestly, if I was 450 lbs & looked horrible, Id still have made this decision for myself. Women come in all shapes & sizes, & passing as female doesnt mean looking like a supermodel, not at all, so dont let that be the only thing holding you bac from making any kind of decision, one way or the other. The best rule of thumb when it comes to deciding whether or not to transition is this: will I be happier & more comfortable & is this what I really want for myself. Dont let society or anyone else pressure you into a decision!

20. LaplaceScramble

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well...if I woke up in a female body, the only thing I would have a problem with other people....suddenly being male than female would make things awkward. I would have no problem with that though. When I'm talking about looks, I just don't wanna end up isolating myself (as far as relationships)....just a fear of being alone....