1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

seriously need some college direction

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ICTOAUN, Feb 21, 2012.

1. ICTOAUN

Here's the thing.. I recently broke up with my girlfriends, and have been rethinking my future plans.. I've decided I want to pursure a career in teaching. And would really like to major in history. I live in california and want to attend one of the california state universities. I'm having a hard time deciding bewtween san diego state university and sonoma state university. Ill add santa clara university in the mix too. I wass wondering if anyone had any good advice on whichh college to attend.
    San diego is in southern california. I love the city and my brother lives there. I like the idea of going to a big schhool where everyone goes to watch the college sports together. I think living. In their dorms and being in that city would give me a great college experience. I am concerned about the class sizes though. I heard they are very large and that they are usually taught by TAs and not actual professors. I think I would do much better in a smaller class. Whre I cud meet my classmates and get to know my professor. I'm really tempted to go to sdsu because I'm sure the lgbt is very accepted both on campus and in the city. But I don't know how good of a teaching program sdsu has.
    Santa clara on the other hand, is known for a great teaching program. I've heard what a beautifu and good school it is. However, I'm concerned because it is a private catholic school. And i really wanted to go to a school where I could be myelf as a gay student.
    Sonoma state sounds like a good place. And I heard they have a good teaching program... however I don't know if they generally accept gay people or not. Andsince sonoma is one of the smaller state schools in california, I don't think they are very big on sports or partying. However they have small enoughh classes where I would feel comfortable. I also heard that there is not much to do in sonoma.
    So basically I'm looking for a csu that will allow me to have the college experience (dorms. Fun things to do)
    To be myself (be openly gay and possibly joining a lgbt club on campus)
    And to get a great learning experience. Which might mean smaller classes and a good teaching program.
    I feel really torn. Any advice would help! Thank you!