1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cogiati question

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by LaplaceScramble, Feb 21, 2012.

1. LaplaceScramble

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not sure how many people are familiar with this particular test, but if you are some feedback would be helpful. I just took the test, three times, and all of my scores placed me in the +130 to +389...basically probable transexual...Now, I'm not sure how accurate this test is, and by no means am I taking this at complete face value but, again, any feedback would be helpful.

---------- Post added 21st Feb 2012 at 04:32 AM ----------

I'm sorry, this seems to have double posted when I tried editing a version of it....

2. Jim1454

I'm afraid I've never heard of it. Is this a test that you did under the supervision of a counsellor or something? Or was it done on your own?

I'm quite certain there isn't a test that can be done to prove conclusively that you're gay or bi or trans. So all it can be providing is one indicator. You'll have to look for other indicators in order to build a more complete view.

Hopefully others here can help - because we're a pretty helpful bunch.

3. Alexandria

Ive done the test in the past a few times -- I dont put a lot of faith into any test or quiz that's online; for obvious reasons. Really, the only answer is to see proper professionals and go from there.

4. LaplaceScramble

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think I was just taking the test to see what I'd get...and of course it didn't really clarify much

5. Katelynn

Ive taken the COGIATI many, many times since 2002, which is, in a real way for me, when I first came out to myself. I have consistently scored as being a probably transsexual, so for me, it has been a pretty accurate confirmation of how Ive always felt. For someone who is still working thru whether or not they are trans tho, I would recommend following what it says after completing the test & perhaps consulting a professional (psychiatrist or psychologist or counsellor) to explore fow you feel further. While the COGIATI is a pretty good test, there are some drawbacks to taking an online test or any kind of quiz on this sort thing really. First, the questions may be worded in a way that may be subjective to the person writing the test's point of view. Second, when answering questions like on the COGIATI the answers may be worded in a way that may suggest what answers they writer of the test may feel are good traits of what gender a person may be. Third, whenever self-administering any tests, especially stuff that dabbles in the psychological, that the answers you give to the test may be somewhat self-fulfilling, ie you want to be told youre trans, so you answer questions in a way that will give you that end result on the test. While you may try so hard to be honest when answering the questions, you may find yourself falling into the unintentional trap of answering so you can have how you feel validated by the results. I will admit that the COGIATI is quite well-worded & drawn up, but it is by no means a defintive test for a person being trans or not. In the long run, only a person can really determine themselves who they are, it's just like being gay - people dont need a test to tell them they are gay, they just know! It's the same with being trans - you dont NEED a test to tell you youre trans, you just know! And like being gay, many trans people struggle with how they feel as well. Im starting HRT & so excited & happy about it, but I still have days where I question myself & how I identify myself. Dont get too hung up on questioning how you feel or if you are or are not trans, just focus on your feelings & find a therapist or someone you can work things thru with! Take things one step at a time is the best advice I have & dont feel like you need to hurry! Trust me, I was told by quite a few trans friends on other sites that transitioning is a LOT of hurry up & wait, as well as being expensive, so taking your time & going at a pace you can deal with everything at is a good idea!

For those who havent heard of the COGIATI, here's a link to it, although I realize its already been posted in a couple of other threads here on EC: The COGIATI

6. LaplaceScramble

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think right now....aside from shock....I'm just stuck in the "well should I really change my gender".....then I remember how any sexual fantasies I had involved either two females or a female and a male....a male who isn't me....fun stuff

7. Katelynn

It definitely sounds to me as your are probably trans, especially since that last post reminds me of how every dream Ive had since I was about 8 years old, Ive been female in, including all of my sexual fantasies. Like I said, the test is a good starting point to go from, but a really good possible next step is talking to someone to help you move forward from where you are now!

8. LaplaceScramble

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ya...just dealing with the whole "should I go back in the closet?" "was there ever a need for me to come out of the closet?" "am I just a fem guy?" thanks to, like I mentioned in another thread, facebook outing me to my parents before I was ready