1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ladies...i need some advice.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by AloneOutHere, Feb 21, 2012.

1. AloneOutHere

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey.. so one of my really close friends (a girl) asked me to my school's annual turnabout dance. (it's like a normal dance except the girls have to ask the guys). However, I really didn't want to go because when I went to homecoming with a different girl it was really awkward. I don't know how to say no and I don't want to keep her waiting. I just was wondering how I should put it in a nice way... anything would be soooooooo helpful. Thank y'all. :slight_smile: :grin:

2. Jordash

Well you could try just telling her you don't wanna go with her because you don't want to hurt your friendship, but thats just one approach.

Wait. Does she know your not straight?

3. Alex94

Alex94 Guest

If she knows your not straight it should not be awkward, so why not go and have fun??
    If she thinks your straight, tell her you don't want to ruin your relationship, be all like I don't want to lead you on or anything...other than that I have nothing. Sorry. :slight_smile:

4. Ianthe

Since she is a really close friend, I think you should consider coming out to her. Do you have some reason to think that she won't be supportive?

It will still be disappointing to her, but she will not take it personally in the same way, and your friendship is likely to ultimately be much closer. If you say no without any real explanation, it might really hurt her feelings. And letting her think you are interested will eventually hurt her much worse.

If you and she are close emotionally, but she doesn't know that you're gay, it's pretty natural for her to have feelings for you.

Many gay men have very long, important friendships that begin pretty much this way. If you come out to her, you'll be able to go to the dance with her without it being awkward.

So--is she important enough to you, to tell the truth? Can you trust her?

And if the answer to either of those is "no," maybe it doesn't really matter, anyway, how you turn her down.

5. Jonathan

I am not now nor have I ever been a lady, but alas, I shall give my two cents anyway. Personally, I would just tell her that you don't like dances. You can say that the last dance you went to wasn't really that fun and you don't really feel like going to another one. That way you are blaming it all on the dance instead of putting it on her :slight_smile:

Random side note: "y'all?" Really? You're from Illinois :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6. lethalenemy23

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, if she's an important friend you should just come out to her, or @ least tell her the truth about not wanting to ruin your relationship with awkwardness because you're not attracted to her. You can't really go any other way but the truth, or at least the partial truth.