1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Different groups of friends - different openness level

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by The Omega Man, Feb 21, 2012.

1. The Omega Man

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Ok, i'm out to mostly all of my friends in college...except i'm in a fraternity. I'm out to them, but i'm not very open around them because they're kind of insensitive. I'm really scared to be open around them. But I do care about them and my fraternity but i'm not sure how to handle all of it.

But I have these other friends who i'm TOTALLY open around, and they're completely fine with it and I love hanging with them. We get along great. I'm just torn because so many aspects of my life have to change according to if the person knows and how comfortable I am with it.

Why am I so AFRAID? I am so afraid all the time of people hearing that I am gay or me mentioning something gay. It's like someone asking me about it is so terrifying about it. Although telling strangers is relatively easy for me.

I just don't get this fear. My parent still don't know and I don't know how i'm supposed to tell them their only son is gay. I'm so depressed and once again: Afraid.

2. TheAMan

I'm bi but I'm going through the same thing. I'm comfortable with my close friends knowing but I'm not ready to tell everyone else or my parents.

The best thing I can tell you is to take your time with it and don't rush yourself all the way out the closet. People feel pressured sometimes and come out too early. Take as much time as you need. Oh and having someone you can trust to talk to isn't a bad idea either. It helps me.

3. lonleyheart

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    soo i soo been in this situation an the best thing least for me was take it slow i never been like lose to lot of guys so i took as joining one a chance to idk open im herizon i guess haha an i became really good freinds with this guys but ya i was scared being open with them to they knew i was gay in my case little more obvoise then most just cause u know i kind of sound little gay haha no tliek horribly but i hav emy tendencys but ya when eve ri say something nto wrong but u know weird or osemthign they pick on me for it but u knwo what thats just how it is in a hosue full of guys they bag on u sometimes so expect it to happen but if they go to far dont be afraid to say somethign specialy if u closer to someone there let them know an ya just take it slow remeber there str8 so tehre kind of dcks sometimes haha :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4. Tycho

I'm in a similar(ish) situation and I know how it feels.
    Out of my family, my sister knows (from me telling her) and my parents; well I assume they know (from my sister trying to out me).
    My close friends have no idea.
    My friends from an LGBT group (obviously) know.
    And then there is another group of friends in which I'd say my status is complicated haha.

I'm always fearful that my close friends will find out due to the others making FB posts that directly mention or allude to my sexuality. It can be scary as I feel like I'm a double agent however my close friends are just not open minded enough to handle homosexuality.

I honestly think the best way to go about it is to slowly ease the idea that you are gay over the people you are afraid of finding out.

5. cscipio

In my opinion, there will always be people and social settings where it's professionally or personally unsafe to be entirely out. For me, as I take my steps out, I'm trying to remove myself from those environments. That wont always be possible though. I think what's important is to be prepared in these situations and know how you will handle your behavior, and any possible questions that come. Hopefully your friends and family respect your personal level of comfort with disclosure.

6. insidehappy

my thing is, dont push yourself or your sexuality on people that are insensitive or possibly not caring. so yea, you're out to the frat and that's pretty brave but if they dont wanna know or hear about gayness, then there's no point of talking to them about it.

7. Jonamo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm not sure how your chapter works, but what I did was first come out to a close brother in my pledge class. It took a leap of faith to trust that brother, but it also allowed me to bounce some ideas off him and determine whether or not the chapter would possibly be accepting or not.