1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what to do if people overheard?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by wellhidden, Feb 22, 2012.

1. wellhidden

wellhidden Guest

Hello EC, its been a while. Hope your well
    Hmmm im just thinking about where to start my worries....

Okay I just came out to a friend -well sorta- and she just asked the big question if i was gay and well i didnt say no, and I think she was pretty excited that i sorta came out to her.

But the thing is that I came out to her in a public place where my other friends may have been close by and might have heard along with a few aquaintences and a few homophobic people, and now im just stressing if i had made the right choice and if i may get bullied about it. I Feel like tearing the hair from my scalp for being so impulsive and stupid -insert sad and worried face-

Also when i was leaving the train i caught a few people staring at me... Which made it even worse

A hug please?

#1 wellhidden, Feb 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2012
  2. Curly

(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)
    Don't feel stupid about what you did. Congratulations!! Coming out takes some guts. It is great that ou have a wonderful friend who is excited and supports you. Thats not something everyone has when they come out. As for the homophobic people, they arn't worth your time. On the other hand, the stares coule be more from curiousity rather than hate. Keep your head up :slight_smile:

3. Marlowe

Right now you are in the scariest part of coming out. You have finally taken that giant step forward, but you don't know how things are going to pan out. Well, first off, Kudos to you. I mean this is really courageous to finally be comfortable with yourself enough to tell someone else, and don't ever forget how strong you needed to do this. It took me a decade to find this courage to come out to a group of friends who were totally supportive.

I know it may be difficult to imagine right now, but things are going to pan out in the end. I couldn't have imagined this just a few months ago, but as you come out and talking about it, this reinforced your identity and your confidence and your comfort with yourself. If you feel comfortable with this friend, really take advantage of the fact that she knows and talk to her about it. This will help you find support and find your confidence. Both of these will be your best armor against people who don't accept you: having confidence in who you are and knowing that those who do matter accept you.

The thing is that you don't know if anyone else heard and the truth is you were probably paranoid about other people hearing, not that there is anything abnormal about that -- been there done that. If they weren't paying attention at the very moment she asked that very short question it is unlikely they would be able to know what is going on. So take a breath, and find some thing that helps you relax and take your mind off of it. Or think about the good side of this. It is so easy to focus on the negative, but at least to one person, you no longer have to pretend or hide, and this has laid the ground work for you to be out and to find love, and happiness. So bottom line, I am really happy for you that you found that inner courage. Don't let it slip away. (*hug*)

4. TheAMan

5. Zontar

Rule of thumb: coming out to non-family should entail being ready to be out to everyone if the closet door gets blown down by them.

6. Jordash

Hey, think of it like this: If they did, eventually you'll want them to know (wont care if they know) so if they do now, whats the worse that could happen?