1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any.. Teachers, or anyone part of a school administration?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Koll, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Koll

I was wondering if I could talk to someone in that area, as I have sort of a problem with my education and I want to know my options..

I'm in my second semester of Grade 11 with 1 english credit, no other credits. My school won't let me try for a GED or give me any options besides sending me to a special needs classroom..

I feel set up for failure. I don't know what to do..

Or anyone who's been in my situation? What'd you do?

#1 Koll, Feb 22, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  2. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi. Feel free to PM me if you'd like to. I know the Canadian school systems are different from the US ones, but I'm a substitute teacher and might be able to give you some advice.

3. Marlowe

I am a high school math teacher in the states. You are in an interesting place, and I would need to know a bit more about how you have pursued the GED option, and why you are two years behind in english, because frankly based on this sample of writing, you write better than many of the students in my school, who i promise you will graduate come June. Secondly, why is their only option special ed? This does not make sense to me, versus night/ summer school. Do you have what in the states is called an IEP or a 504, which makes you eligible for special education services? Shoot me a message, and hopefully I can be help.

My one piece of advice is that you need to strongly advocate for yourself. Talk to your parents about this. Ask questions about why these are your only options. Demand that work with you to set out a specific plan for your to graduate if they won't let you get your GED.

4. Koll

Thanks for replying, both of you :slight_smile:

We have IEP's and such, yes. Apparently I already have one due to my Bipolar II disorder.

The reason I'm so behind in school is because I had missed two years of it. I was severely depressed in grade 9 or so, and absolutely refused to go for a year and a half, thus why I'm missing so many credits.

They have summer school and such but it's in a city that is about an hour away from where I live, and I would need to provide my own transportation. It's not exactly feasible. My mother is on a fixed income so any gas money and such going to my car would be from my own part time job.. It wouldn't be so challenging for me if they paid the gas money for that. My car isn't exactly the most fuel efficent thing either, and legally, I shouldn't be driving it alone (Until I get my G2).

Whenever I inquire about a GED, They simply tell me it's a 'last resort' and that I should continue with my schooling. That's all fine and dandy, however I don't see it reasonable to spend 3 extra years in highschool --Which won't even be given to me, There is a 2 year limit of extra credit time or whatever so to speak-- Six years maximum. Even if I got 4 credits per semester towards the end of the 6 years I'm entitled to, I won't graduate. I've explained this to them so many times and they just shy an eye to it.. I feel unheard.

I applied for ILC and AMDEC which are online course schools (In hopes to gain credits), but I was declined in both of those schools due to being a full time student right now.

I know getting my education and schooling on track is going to be a ton of work, however I just wish I was given the chance to do it. and options too, of course.

Edit: Another part of it is embaressment. I don't like hanging with the little grade 9's proving I'm intelligent enough to pass a course, while being bored out of my mind.. The classes are so simple. My friends are graduating this year and I'm just .. babysitting, or so it feels. These kids are so much younger than I..

---------- Post added 23rd Feb 2012 at 04:12 PM ----------

The school already assigned me courses for next year aswell... Which appear to be the following (I'm not very good at identifying course codes)

ENG2P0 Level 2 Applied English (So, grade 10 english)
    MFM1P0 Level 1 Applied Math (Grade 9 math.. seriously?)
    ADA200 Optional Drama Credit.. sure, fine. why not.
    CHV200 Civics and Careers.. Has to be done I suppose.

SVN3EO Grade 11 Workplace Science?
    CGC1PO Grade 9 Geography..
    MEL3EO Grade 11 Workplace Math (Grade 9 Math > Grade 11 Math? What?)
    HFN200 Foods and Rec.

I'm not really excited at all.

#4 Koll, Feb 23, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  5. lazyboy

lazyboy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm not sure what part of Canada you're in, but my understanding of how it works here is that you are expected to be out of school for at least 2 years before they let you apply for GED training. In other words, if you are of age to be in school, and are able to be in school, then you are expected to get your high school education in school.

At least that's how it worked with student I've known.

6. Koll

Yeah I looked into that. It's age 18 with being out of school for at least 1 year.

What would be my dream is to drop school this summer, and spend an entire year studying, then take my GED Test.

7. lazyboy

lazyboy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I specifically work in the field of student services, but I find it hard to comment with such limited information.

If you are having that much difficulty in your life, then it's obvious that you are between a rock and a hard place, educationally speaking. From what you've said, it sounds to me like the school is trying its hardest to help you to graduate by taking as much pressure off as possible.

You haven't said much as to why you don't like their plan, other than that you would be taking some of your courses with students who are a couple of years younger.

8. Koll

Because I'd rather not stay in school till I'm 23 when clearly I know a lot of the course content already?

9. lazyboy

lazyboy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Your courses are mostly your own grade-level or aren't that important, aside from the english and math. I'm assuming the suppport from resource and methods teachers is to help you sail through the english and math as quickly as possible. If the work as as far beneath you as you say, then surely they would see that and adjust things accordingly.

I really don't know the full story behind their decision, so I can only speculate. I don't know of any other routes available to graduate either because, as I said, I'm not there.

10. Marlowe

To me it seems like your problem is thus:

You are required by law to be in school until you are eighteen and then wait a year to get your GED. You are 16 now and don't want to have to go through two more years of schooling when you are planing on leaving anyway since the plan your school has for you requires that you would stay until you are 20.

US laws are different, and I am not sure that there is anything to do apart from really sitting down with your administrators to talk about this arrangement, since it would appear that their hands are tied by the law, and I am not sure how if any exceptions are made. One thing I wonder, is if it would be possible to make up the work at your own pace as part of an independent study rather than actually having to take the classes over. In this way you would be able to cover more material in one year, and could for instance take two years of English in one if you applied yourself, rather than taking the electives.

11. vyvance

I don't know all the details, or if Canada even has the option, but some students at my high-school essentially took summer classes to graduate on time. Again, I don't know all the specifics involved, but that may be something you want to ask about. If for no other reason than just so you know your options.

12. lazyboy

lazyboy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

Yes, summer school exists in Canada, but if I may be so bold, it's starting to sound like the main issue is in the edit.

13. Koll

I already discussed the problem with that; Transportation. If you're just going to skim over and critisize, I'd appriciate your opinion being spared.