1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Meeting people and HIV

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Snapzilla, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Snapzilla

So as of late I have been working a schedule that allows me to hang out at clubs, and I am making enough money to go out drinking/clubbing/socializing. Meeting people is always a fun time, but I just recently had a jarring experience.

I was out with friends, and one of them introduced me to a guy that was interested in me, and he suggested that we go out to one of his favorite places. I went with him to a gay bar where we hung out and drank. After a couple beers he and I started making out, but about 5 minutes after that he tells me he's positive. I don't know about anyone else, but I have what could almost be classified as a phobia of that virus. I don't know why, but I am terrified of that disease. So I was immediately angry, and had to take some time to cool off. I couldn't tell if I was pissed at the friend who introduced us, or at him for not making note of it earlier.

Despite the fact that I know HIV typically can not be transmitted through casual contact, including kissing, I still got super paranoid about it. What I think I am trying to ask here is how do any of you out there deal with such a thing? Does anyone else actually have a paranoid fear of HIV, or just a healthy respect for it? Is this even something other guys worry about when they go out to a club?

Anyway I'm not sure what it is exactly what I'm asking. I just needed a place where I could speak my mind without mentioning names.

2. zzzero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This guy did the right thing. He's not gonna shut down his whole social life due to an STD, but he's realistic enough to tell you that he's positive before having sex with you. It's clear it was heading in that direction, so he's right for telling you when he did.

You shouldn't worry about getting HIV through normal contact because it just doesn't transfer that way. If he were bleeding, I wouldn't go lick his blood or touch his wound to a wound of your own, but who would do that anyways?

You should be cautious, but don't get scared. He told you so that you could take the proper precautions. Don't get angry at your friend as your friend might not even know. That's a pretty personal thing to tell someone.

3. cscipio

I've little experience, but, in my opinion, a HIV+ person owes it to anybody before even making out. That's not warts we're talking about. Sorry, but, I'd have given him more to worry about that evening than being positive - my two cents. I'm not bashing HIV+ folks and my heart goes out to you - I've little experience and I'm barely out of the closet. I don't play for many reasons, that's one of them. Thank something he told you before going further. Don't mean to hate. I'm opinionated, I guess - that's just how I see it. Sorry, that's how I feel.

4. zzzero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Right, but imagine you have sex with a guy and something happens and he didn't tell you and you become HIV positive. Do you deserve your whole life to be ruined?

The fact is that if he went disclosing this to everyone before ever getting to know them, he would be hardpressed to find a guy to stick around.

Also, I'm curious, what are your two cents? It sounds like you'd have an issue with someone for a virus they got. He can't infect you by making out with you, so it's not a point where you need to disclose, if it comes to having sex, then you disclose.

This guy did the right thing. At least he didn't get you naked in bed with him before he told you. At least he DID disclose, some guys wouldn't and THAT is wrong.

5. cscipio

The guy did do the right thing, I agree. He'd do the rightous thing if he'd have said first thing before even making out.

I understand that you can't get HIV from making out (technically); but, again, that's a huge game changer. Sorry if I offended you, I'd just be rather violent if he didn't disclose that up front. I'm terribly sorry he got 'a virus', terribly - it's still deadly, it's still for life, and I think that a person should be as up-front as possible. If that means he gets nobody, so be it.

I'm an ass, sorry.

6. zzzero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You are being an ass. Imagine if you got infected by someone who didn't disclose and then you got HIV. Terrible, but your life isn't over. You know that you CAN still make out with guys just as easily as you could before.

This guy did all that's really required of him. I'm not saying don't be cautious, I'm saying don't doom them to a miserable life alone, they are still people and still deserve love. Once they don't disclose and infect others, I might consider feeling the way you do about them.

7. cscipio

A person who has a life endangering desease should demonstrate the utmost caution, care, and disclosure before ever endangering another human being. We probably will never agree. I'm sorry, and I hope you won't be offended by me calling you friend. I've refused to be careless over far less, but that's what I do for a living. Again, I agree with you, a person can make out....but, give me the option of saying no prior to hearing that news. If I'd have had sex and then found out, I'd be on trial - I'm not trying to sound like 'barney badass' but I'd have personally seen to it that it couldn't happen to another person. Love to you and yours. Be safe and be rightous.

8. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Honestly, he should have told you before making out with you. But then again, you shouldn't have assumed he was negative before making out with him. The general rule is to assume everybody you get intimate with is positive (even when they say they're not), and take whatever steps you deem necessary.

How do I get over it? I dunno. I've never had much issue with it. I have friends with HIV, and we hug and (dry) kiss. If I were dating a guy whose status I didn't know, I think I'd be fine with making out with. Anything beyond that I'd probably take precautions. That's just where my lines are.

Lex

9. cscipio

You're awesome, Lex :slight_smile:

10. insidehappy

yes i have a paranoia fear about it but i also know that you cant get hiv through kissing (possibly in some weird 1 in a million case) but mostly unless the person has a mouth full of blood and you have open wounds in your mouth or fresh dental work, its just not gonna happen. i would be pissed the person didn't say anything prior to teh kissing but i mean, he did say something prior to the sex so that's a good thing. here's the facts, you may or may not run into someone with hiv, and mostly you are not gonna know it. the best thing you can do is assume all have hiv and protect yourself accordingly.

11. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have a number of friends who are HIV+. Some are in their 50s and 60s, some in their early-mid 20s. A couple are still teenagers.

Cscipio, I don't think you have any concept of what it's like for these people, or perhaps you'd have a little bit more compassion. Although people who are HIV+ aren't lepers, they are often treated that way. And it is responses like yours that make people with HIV afraid to tell others they have it at all (and unfortunately, many don't.) Yes, they made dumb decisions that got them positive in the first place. Yes, they wish they could take it back and do things differently. But they can't.

So the best they can do is tell people very early on, before there's any risk or any attachment. And the decision of when to tell is delicate. Since the HIV+ person knows that a huge portion of the population will just walk away instantly, that's an enormous self-esteem hit. And if it happens day after day, for years, it hurts more and more.

A friend of mine who has been HIV+ since he was 20, was telling me of a date he had with a boy he met at a club when he was 23. Let's call him Michael. Michael is very, very attractive -- former model. His new friend came over for what Michael thought was just going to be a nice dinner date. But they both had almost instant chemistry, and as soon as the guy got there. they sat down on the sofa, and Michael's friend almost immediately lunged in and started to kiss him. Michael stopped him, and said "There's something I have to tell you before we start anything. I am HIV positive." The guy got this immediate look of revulsion on his face, and said "Ewwww. You have the 'butt flu'?" I'm outta here." And was out the door in 2 seconds.

Now you could say that Michael should have told him this at the club. Or on the phone when the set up the date. But he wasn't even expecting anything sexual to happen. In fact, he wasn't even sure the guy wanted anything other than friendship.

By the time this happened to Michael, he'd accepted that he had HIV, and he had already had some similar rejections, but it still hurt. He called to talk to me about it, and I understood, in that moment, why it is so hard for people who are HIV+. Because people treat them like crap, like lepers or worse.

One of the things I was taught, back when I did my HIV counselor training, was that we should assume everyone we are remotely considering a sexual interaction with is HIV+ until proven otherwise. Now, granted, this was at a somewhat earlier stage of the HIV epidemic. But it still holds true.

If we assume everyone is a carrier, then we will always play safe, and that's the whole reason we use condoms, and take precautions, and play safe. It is when we start assuming someone isn't HIV+ that we put ourselves at risk. So while it isn't a pleasant reality to think that way, it is also the best way to keep ourselves safe and healthy.

12. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This, all over again. I don't know that I would assume by default that everyone is positive, but I can't argue with the sentiment.

Transmission through kissing is very rare...but it could happen if, say, someone had a cut in their mouth from a chip or something. This is playing it very safe, but then again, wouldn't you want to?

I don't personally see protecting yourself against risky sex as being paranoid or offensive. There is such a thing as being careful and respecting your own body and health, after all.

If you're worried, then take all the hypotheticals out of the situation and go get tested. The doctors and nurses there will tell you what you need to do or watch out for in the future, and you can be confident and safe all at the same time.

EDIT: after reading over some of this a bit more, I just want to say I can also understand the perspective of the positive person, and the extreme loneliness of being constantly treated like a pariah. That said, feelings aside, it is still a disease, and I have to say that I believe the other person or people deserve that information as soon as possible. I suppose, to translate this into practical terms - if I were the guy in Michael's story (from Chip's post above), I would have stopped the kissing and such that instant, but I never would have lowered myself to labeling someone as having "butt flu" (how insensitive, and what a ridiculous name on top of it!), and I wouldn't have run out the door right away. At that point, what's done is done, but there's still a human being in front of you, who could probably use a hug.

Glad to see this post here.

#12 Gravity, Feb 26, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  13. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    >>>I don't know that I would assume by default that everyone is positive, but I can't argue with the sentiment.

The only way to protect yourself from HIV is to assume everybody you get intimate with has it. I'm willing to bet that the majority of people who are HIV+ got that way by not following that route. They decided that "this guy looks clean", or "he said he's clean, and I'm sure he wouldn't lie to me", or "I got caught up in the heat of passion, and figured, well, maybe just this once..." That doesn't mean you treat all potential partners like pariah because "they might have AIDS". You just play smart and safe. And any gay guy worth the name would be totally fine with that.

Lex

14. Lewnatic

After having a (though overreacted) HIV scare myself, I have become utterly strict on the topic. I don't fool around with someone I don't really know, and if I do in the heat of the moment I make sure it's safe. Fact of the matter is, you could meet someone, hit it off with them, get in a relationship with them and all of that afterwards and they could have HIV. So, as stated in this thread, you need to act like every potential lover you meet is positive.

15. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can echo Lex's comment based on conversations with roughly a dozen people I know who are living with HIV, who were infected in their late teens or early 20s.

One, "John", had only had one partner -- his boyfriend of 6 months, who he thought was faithful. John's partner didn't even know he was HIV+; John got a routine test which came back positive, and he knew he'd only had sex with his partner.

Another was "usually safe" but took a chance on one guy who convinced him that "it's much better without a condom" and that he was "clean."

I agree you have to balance out risk, and can't treat everyone like they are "unclean", but if you're smart, and cautious, you shouldn't have to worry about keeping yourself safe and healthy.

16. Zontar

A lot of people with HIV are 1. careless liars who failed to care about their health before it was too late or 2. the victim of careless liars. (Objective fact, not an emotionally charged statement.)

Do yourselves a favor and have your partner tested before you even make out...no activities' risk is low enough. I still feel dirty for having made out with one guy without having him tested first.

If they want you to be "more intimate" without condoms, tell 'em to hit the road. People cheat...a lot. For the record, I have yet to meet a single man or woman who's met my standards for absolute, guaranteed safety from this shockingly common life-ruining catastrophe.

#16 Zontar, Feb 27, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  17. zzzero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Though I do understand the need to exercise caution, I would say that it's very unreasonable to have every guy you make out with tested before you make out with them. I guarantee you that you won't be making out with too many people if there's a trial before you do so. Making out is fairly harmless. If they had a cut in their mouth and started bleeding into your mouth, there might be problems, but that's a pretty rare thing to happen (at least it has never happened to me?)

That degree of extreme caution greatly reduces the possible non-infected guys out there who just don't want to spend all their time getting tested to make out with someone that they might not even click with.

I'm sorry, but I love making out, I'm not going to go require every guy I make out with to be tested first. That takes any kind of spontaneity out of it, which is half of the fun. There is a way to be cautious and lead a normal, safe, happy life with spontaneous moments. I won't have sex with someone without a condom if they aren't tested, but I know how to use a condom, and that's why we have them. Also, not to mention that there's a lot of sexual acts that really just don't require a test. You can jerk off a guy with HIV just like you can jerk off a guy without HIV. I don't know about you guys, but it's not all about anal sex from my viewpoint....

18. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Additionally to what Taylor said... having someone tested before (doing whatever) provides a false sense of security. The latency period can be up to 60 days after exposure before the standard quick test will show positive (though about 80 or 85% will show 30 days after exposure.)

To further compound matters, someone who has just been infected will have very high viral loads as the virus replicates, before the immune system kicks in, so it is actually in the latency period (when the person is HIV+ but tests HIV-) where there is some of the highest risk of transmission of the virus.

I can't say it enough but that's why relying on tests or statements about "being clean" aren't enough. Playing safe, and having a meaningful conversation about a prospective partner's sexual history, and how often they play safely is really important. And, in my experience, you usually need to ask the "how often do you play safe" question several times to get an honest answer. Most people will say "always", but most people, upon further questioning, will also admit to engaging in risky behavior "sometimes." The key is in whether they are quick to encourage, or agree to, condom-free sex. If so, then they are at pretty high risk, regardless of what they tell you.

All of that said, Taylor is also right that it's overkill to not make out with or kiss someone out of fear of HIV. The risks of transmission from kissing, even deep kissing, are very low (no one has any reliable data on how low, but it is probably slightly above zero) provided there's no bleeding or open sores in either person's mouth.

19. Snapzilla

Thanks for all the input guys. Yeah I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't being uniquely obnoxious for my reaction. I have friends who have HIV in the past, but they had the common decency to tell me when I flirted with them. It is enormously horrifying for me to think about 'that' disease.

Getting everyone tested, seems like a great idea, but that has its flaws, and trusting men you want to be with has its own problems. I'd imagine that the best way to be sure is to be with someone longer than 60 days, and have built the trust needed to know that they haven't been screwing around behind your back, and get them tested.. but barring that I don't know.

20. Gen

Gen

Sometimes people get on me for being too brutal but im sorry but i dont believe this guy did the right thing. I personally am a real life germaphobe, so yes i usually have that "expect people to have something" mentality. Not even really sexually related either it could be a common cold lol. But on a serious note, I really do feel for people who are struct with a life-long disease because everyone makes stupid decisions every now and then. We all have been drooling soo much over someone attractive that we dont think that they have any flaw, let alone one we cant spot with our eyes.

However, sometime during the conversation he should of brought it up. I can imagine it must be horrifing to tell someone, especially if you like them, but it the most responsible and moral thing to do. He would of had a better chance of convincing you to still give him a chance if he was upfront in the beginning. Talking to you about his struggles could of opened you up to him a bit more..but now he will never know.

And to all the people saying you cant technically get HIV from making out. That is incorrect. Contracting HIV from anything but penetration is MUCH smaller. But as with any contagious sickness it is ultimately purely luck based. Theyre have been cases of people contracting HIV from kissing.(Usually a result of any small cut in the infected mouth.). While some have gone all the way with minial protection and turned out fine. Again not to say "OMG DONT TOUCH THEM" but never act like just because the chances are low its impossible.