1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Mom Thinks/Believes I'm Straight... :/

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Custard, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Custard

So I've REALLY been leaving hints for my family that I'm gay. At the dinner table, since my mom is single, she kept joking (she's a joker, I love her) that she's gonna "get a man." I kept saying "ew" in a playful manner. Then my older brother Drew said, "Lucy, how are guys ew?" We were all joking but I tried to hint it.

Later on my mum and I were watching the beginning of the Red Carpet thing. I told her I have amazing fashion sense and that I could tell the good looking dresses from the bad ones. Every time she'd point out a cute guy, I'd shake my head and say, "No way, that girl is insanely pretty. I LOVEEE her hair."

My family jokes a LOT about "being gay." We call each other gay, homo, retards, stuff like that. In a playful way. Gay is our way of saying "Your so stupid" with a grin on our face. If we do something klutzy, we own up to it and say were gay for doing that. So after dinner, I pronounced a word wrong and my mom giggled and said, "Your so gay." and smiled at me. I laughed too and said, "I AM gay." And we giggled. I really meant it, but of course she wouldn't take it that way. It's just our normal family banter stuff.

So she really believes I'm straight. I haven't told anyone I'm gay yet, no one. Although I hint it the best I can. But after dinner, when we sat down at the table with my bro's to talk about normal stuff, somehow she slithered men into the conversation. My older brother Drew has a best friend named Ethan who occasionally comes over. So she said, "You know, Ethan may be 17, and you're only 13 but that's not too far away. I think you like him." I immediately got offended but tried not too show it. "No way! I don't like him. Mom, no." She giggled and said, "I think you do." and winked at me, smiling. "He's handsome. I think you've always crushed on him." In my head, I wanted to shout MOM THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE. I'M LESBIAN. Butttt... no such courage. :/

I thought I make it obvious but... Apparently not. :eusa_doh:

2. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    The problem with always joking around like this is no one takes you seriously. You are going to have to find a way to first make your mom take you seriously, and then tell her. Write her a letter if you have to.

3. Custard

Yeah. It's just so easy to joke, I guess I just believe she can somehow sense that I'm not. But she can't. If someone joked to me about being gay, of course I wouldn't believe them, I'd just think they were joking. Thanks for the advise though, every little thing helps. :slight_smile:

4. secretguyX

Well if you keep hinting like that, no one is going to ever notice, if your family jokes around so much. Honestly, I'd tell your brother before your mom, just to get used to saying it. But do it when you guys are alone. You can tell your mom first though too, or any friends. Whoever you feel most comfortable around and would take it best. But be persistent. Like the last time you were joking about it, and your mom said you were gay, and you said you were. You could always do something similar, but stop laughing, and say it in a serious manner. But you have to let them know you aren't joking. Good luck :thumbsup:

5. Custard

Yeah, yeah. Thanks for the advise. :slight_smile:

Honestly, I AM going to tell Drew I'm Lesbian. He'll be the first too know. When I'm ready, of course. He's easy too talk too. He's accepting, loving, and sweet to me. Of course we have our fights though, what siblings don't. I have a feeling if I come out too him, he'll reassure me my mom will accept me as well. ♥:slight_smile: