Telling My Brother

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by secretguyX, Feb 26, 2012.

1. secretguyX

So I decided I'm going to tell my brother I'm bisexual (whoever knows i've told them i'm bisexual, because most people wouldn't know what panromantic lesbian is). He's fine with my cousin being gay, so he'll take it alright. But I don't know how to do it. We rarely talk about relationships/crushes/etc... so I'd have to mention it sometime. And I think he still feels I'm his little sister (which I am) but he might think I'm too young to know? I'm not though. What do i say?

#1 secretguyX, Feb 26, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  2. zzzero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You are only 13, there's no need to rush into the coming out process. If you're ready, just go for it. You are his little sister and will always be his little sister. It will come out eventually. Just say to him "I'm bisexual."

However, be warned, I'v known many young girls who have come out in early highschool as bisexual only to find that it was just a phase for them. I would hold onto those feelings for a year or two and make sure those are your true feelings that will last.

Honestly, the whole "Panromantic lesbian" thing is more confusing than anything and usually is just a way to hide behind a thin veil of normalcy (liking the gender you are "supposed to"). If you are a lesbian you love women, but you're saying you love men too? or that you only love to be romantic with men and not sexual? It's very confusing and an unnecessary complicated label for a rather simple idea of sexuality.

3. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! I think it would be perfectly alright just to sit down with him, say for example in your room, or in the living room, and try to come out to him. You could for example say: "I would like to talk to you about something. I know that I am bisexual. I have come out to a couple of friends but felt that I needed to let you know too." (or something along these lines...)

It doesn't have to be anything long. I would include though as to why you have decided to tell him.

Good luck!

4. secretguyX

Yeah, i guess so. But I've had these feelings for a few years, so I don't think it is a phase. By that I mean I'm attracted to guys and girls, but more attracted to girls? Wait, that makes no sense. Yeah, you're right that it's too confusing, I'm not sure what I mean by it anymore either.
    Thanks both of you :slight_smile:

5. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If this is the case, why have you decided to come out to him at this point? If you are not sure as to how to explain it, or what you mean by it, it might be good if you have an answer so that you can explain things better. It would make your coming out to your brother and perhaps even to the rest of your family, easier.

6. zzzero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    See, I just think that if you're getting confused about it, you're not ready to announce it to everyone. Or you are. It's up to you. It would just suck to come out then have to take it all back or come out again in another way.