1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

University Advice

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Jonathan, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Jonathan

So...I'm debating whether I made a mistake by transferring and thinking about whether or not I should transfer back...

I miss my friends, I miss my dorm, I miss having the freedom of being able to go anywhere in Chicago whenever I wanted to.

I transferred so that it would be cheaper and I could live at home. I'm paying for everything myself and I save about $12,000 a year (that I would have taken out in loans) by transferring.

I didn't realize though how much of an impact that my friends had on my academics either. We had labs and all our sciences together so we would constantly help each other out and study together and I think that it was because of that that I was able to pass Orgo I. When I transferred, I wasn't able to handle Orgo II by myself so I had to drop it and now I'm behind on my major. If I stay, I'll probably have to take an extra semester before I graduate because some of the the classes I took for Core at my old school don't really count for anything here. However, if I transfer back, I would still be able to take the rest of the sciences with my friends and I think I could make up Orgo II to graduate on schedule (I was ahead in my classes at my other school, i.e. I was considered a sophomore when I was a freshman).

I'm not a very social person and not the best at making friends, so I kinda feel completely alone at the new school thus far. It doesn't help that I live off campus so I can't really socialize with other people who just go to their dorms.

The reason I transferred for the finances wasn't really for myself but for my mom. If the loans were solely on me, than I would be completely fine with it. However, because I'm a full time student without a job, my mom has to cosign for them. I just felt so guilty about having her cosign a loan each year for $10,000...now it's not my own life that I can mess up, but I could possibly mess up hers as well. I didn't want her to have to risk her financial security on me...

I just don't know what to do...was my transfer a mistake? Should I transfer back? Are these reasons justification enough for paying an extra 12 grand a year or are they just things I'm blowing out of proportion? Was me feeling guilty about my mom cosigning a logical or illogical reaction to the scenario? Any input whatsoever will be greatly appreciated...:help:

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! I think you have highlighted some compelling reasons as to why a transfer back to your old university might be beneficial to you. You have mentioned several things that can have an impact on academic performance and overall well-being.

I think it really also depends on what you are willing to pay for your education. Paying $12,000 more per year to pay for the same education is quite a substantial financial commitment.

Before you make a decision, I would look into other possibilities on a) maintaining contact with your friends at the old university, and b) trying to make some new friends at your new university. You have mentioned that you live off campus. How much are you saving by living off campus? If you feel that it would have benefits living on campus, maybe try getting into a dorm at your current university.

If in the end you decide to transfer back, maybe look into work-study, i.e. getting student jobs on campus that can help you to pay (partially) for your education. Usually student jobs are designed for students to be able to do the job, and still maintain their full-time study commitments.

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Did you transfer at the beginning of the academic year (August) or 2nd semester (January?) It can be really hard to enter any school 2nd semester, simply because everyone is already in their routine and much of the development of friendships happens at the beginning of the year, when the new students are seeking to connect with others. So if it's a mid-year transfer, I'd wait until next year. But even if you transferred at the beginning of the year, it can sometimes take some time, particularly if you're a commuter student, to connect with people.

The other thing to really seriously consider is the cost. The problem with student loans, at least in the US, is that they are not dischargeable, even in bankruptcy. So if something awful happened and you couldn't find work, or got injured or something... you and your mom would both be on the hook for the full value of the loans, and if any of the loans are with private lenders instead of government-backed loans, they can be really, really nasty if you have problems repaying. I know a number of people saddled with tens of thousands of dollars worth of debt and it can be really stressful and crushing, so I would suggest that you *strongly* consider seeing if you can make it work at your new school.

I also echo Mirko's comments about living in a dorm, even if just for a semester. It's a great way (as you probably realize) to connect on a deeper level with a lot of people at your school, and you can continue to develop the friendships you make during that time. Or, if that's difficult for some reason, maybe just hang out and study in the lounges at one or more of the dorms, and cultivate friendships that way.

4. Jonathan

I transferred at the 2nd semester, so in January. Yea, I know...the money is really the only thing that is holding me back. Like I mentioned earlier, I don't mind gambling with my own future, but I just don't want to risk my mom's financial security. For my old school, I would get loans from the government (from FAFSA) and then also some from Sallie Mae. I agree with you that it is definitely more difficult to connect with people when one is a midyear transfer commuter...so I guess I should give it more time. As for living in a dorm, I'd have to check to see how much it would cost me. The whole point of transferring was to lower the amount I would have to pay, so if dorming would add too much, I probably wouldn't do it. I guess for the time being I'll do my best just to try to be more social and the try to figure the rest of this out later. Thanks again for the advice :slight_smile:

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I started college second semester. I felt totally like a fish out of water, everyone else was already in their routines, knew where everything was, had their friends. The only friends I made that first semester were in the house I lived in, and their friends.

But when the fall semester came around, it was a totally different story... all the new students and transfers were actively looking for new friends, many of the social groups and activities were actively soliciting new members, and it was completely different, and I ended up making a ton of new friends, and many of those friendships have lasted a lifetime.

So I think if you hang on, you'll find it very different. And... try the hang-out-in-the-dorms plan. I know a number of people who lived off campus and did that and it was a great way to connect to new people.

6. Merlot

Organic Chemistry, the killer of many big dreams. Moving from downtown Chicago to home was kind of lame. If you are going into the medical field you can pay off a lot of debt pretty fast, so if it was really for the financials then lame lame lame. No sense living in the past though, when you graduate move back if you really miss it.

---------- Post added 28th Feb 2012 at 07:18 PM ----------

So true about it being easier to make friends in the fall.

7. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! I think giving it a bit more time is a good plan for now. I echo Chip's comments that things can change. Are there some social activities on campus that you could join, which would help in meeting new people and making new friends?

Don't gamble with your own future. You don't want to be in a situation that you have so much student debt that will take a substantial part of your working life to pay back either. Think about your own financial security down the road too. If you feel that you live a bit far from campus to be able to be part of the campus social life on a regular basis, maybe try finding a place that is nearer to campus.