1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pride Festivals?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by pigfartsisreal, Feb 27, 2012.

1. pigfartsisreal

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    What is there to do at a pride festival? I would go to one in Atlanta, Georgia. I'm worried about there not being "age-appropriate" things to do, especially if I'm going to have to go with a parent/s. Do they make you buy a ticket? When I lived in Columbus, Ohio I sometimes saw festival there and it just looked like LGBT people partying/walking around. Another question - do you think it would be too sudden/overwhelming if I came out on NCOD on the 11th then asked to go to the festival on the 13th and 14th? Thanks in advance for any help! :slight_smile:

2. zzzero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No ticket required. These events are usually open to the public, and try to include ALL people, not just gay people.

I think it would be okay if you came out on NCOD and asked to go to the festival a few days later, but your parents might not. It's all on how you think they'll react to the news and if they'll want you going.

Personally, I say come out if you're ready, and if your parents take it well, ask them to take you, if they don't, try to get yourself there on your own. At 14, you should be able to go with friends or something and not a parent. It's usually a pretty open and safe environment, just don't do anything you wouldn't do in public normally (IE running off into a dark alley way with a stranger).

For the record, I wouldn't ever want to go with my parents (though I did once before I ever came out, totally by accident).

3. stumble along

Yeah I aggree come out when you want to but I'm here just to put a two cents into the Atlanta thing.
    My friend and her friend went this year and from what they described, bring friends. It's not like it wasn't safe its just that it can be very overwhelming.
    Also dont take anything from strangers ( I know you will say you know that already but trust me people like to hand out jello shots and what not, like give them to you ) if they do give you something smile and throw it away asap.
    But have fun! I wish I went because it is for everyone, not just lgbt

4. pigfartsisreal

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Taylor -
    Thanks! I had assumed it was free.

I think they'll take it well. My family recognizes me as an "ally" so maybe that'll make the transition a little easier, but it might be too sudden for them. :/

Ahaha, my biggest issue (besides coming out) would be getting there. We just moved so I don't actually have any friends here to go with, so all I have are my parents. xD Thank you!

stumble along -
    Oh, that's good to know. :slight_smile: LOL, I don't think I'll be taking any jello shots, I'm fourteen. x) I appreciate the advice, though. Thanks so much! :grin:

Thanks again. :slight_smile:

#4 pigfartsisreal, Feb 27, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  5. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Gay Prides are a lot of fun :slight_smile: At least the one in my city is... And there are generally at least as many straight as gay people. You have activities for all ages... In my city it is a 5-day festival, where you have all kinds of parties during the day - all ages -, and streetparties for the older crowd (18+) at night. + We have a canal parade on saturday, with different boats with all kinds of themes, that's the best thing about the whole Pride :slight_smile: And again, it attracts a lot of different people, a lot of straight people, of all ages.
    Overall it's like a big, colorful, street festival :icon_bigg

And yeah, you can come out whenever you think it's right.