1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a strange feeling after 35 years

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by 55, Feb 27, 2012.

1. 55

Tonight I'm feeling very strange because my marriage of 35 years ended today. I knew it was going to feel weird, but knowing it and feeling it are not the same. We'll still be living in the same house until I move in about a month and I think everything between us will be good since we both know it's for the best.

Putting the wedding ring away seems sad, but this is what I've been thinking about for such a long time. I am sooooo looking forward to getting on with my life, but it's hard to turn the corner.

55bna

:confused:

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm happy you're continuing on on decent terms with her. And I'm excited for what comes next for you. :slight_smile:

Lex

3. TyRawr

Board Member Full Member

Im really happy that you have moved on, and are able to still connect with your former wife. I know that no matter what is around the corner it will all work out. It will seem alien and terrifying at first I am sure, but you will be able to handle it.

Remember to think of yourself highly, because the world takes you at your own estimate.
    Love n'hugs,

4. stilllovelyafte

Thinking of you. I am sure it's hard at first. As with every major change, their will be a mourning period. Fortunately, you will get to keep having her in your life, which should make the "loss" less pronounced. Maybe try and think of it as a redefinition or clarification of your relationship rather than a change or a loss.

5. insidehappy

sorry to hear bro

6. KneeDragger

I feel for you. Don't worry, it will all get better. Moving out will be another tough step to take, but I'm confident that the two of you will be much better off after that.

7. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's got to be really, really hard after 35 years. I'm sure there will be some delayed grief as well. But as you said, it's for the best for both of you, and hopefully you'll both find much happier and more fulfilling lives in the coming years.

8. 55

Thanks for all the support! It's so nice to have a place to come to hear and be heard. I got to go to the inspection for my condo today and I started picturing myself living there and making it my own. I know it'll get better with some intermittant down times. I'll get there. Thanks again!

(&&&)

55bna

9. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey, man, you've made amazing progress, and I can only imagine this is an odd day for you. I'm hoping for lots of good changes yet to come. You can totally make your new condo your own and it's so cool how you're getting excited about that. Take care! (*hug*)

10. GoogieHowser

GoogieHowser Guest

congrats man! ill be in the same boat too but its only been 8 years for me. my advice is to take time and do something you enjoy doing: go to a movie, go fishing, play pool, whatever it is. take some time for yourself and focus on healing yourself and making you a better person so you can have all that much more to offer some lucky guy.

11. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey congratulations, I think it is bound to feel strange but im sure you will have a great experience in years to come.