1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I over thinking this?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by TriCube, Feb 27, 2012.

1. TriCube

Sorry in advance for the length and any parts that may not be clear.

Ok, so about a month and a half ago I was at my friend's apartment drinking and just having a good time. School had just started so everyone in the building was new. We were out in the stair well a little bit and heard party noise coming from the floor above us and a couple of us decided to check it out. The flats are big, 10-12 people live in each and they take up the whole floor. So there was a big group of guys (no girls) in their apartment just drinking and they invited us in, probably because my two friends were girls and they are hot.

We all got to talking and they were really friendly guys from a different school. Everyone wanted to talk to my friends, and since I was with them I got some attention, too. We ended up all going out to a bar.

It was a tiny bar but was fun still. It limited how many people you could talk to at one time. Anyways, from the group of guys we had just met, there was one guy who was really nice me, talking to me the whole night, just about school, our majors, everything. He was very good looking so chatting at first was hard, but I opened up pretty quickly. I was pretty drunk (can you say lightweight?) but wasn't sure about him. I distinctly remember him asking me if I had a girlfriend which I said no. I remember asking him backa and he said no. Just innocent conversation topic, I didn't think anything of it then. I couldn't tell if he was talking to me cuz he wanted to be friends or if he just didn't want me to feel alone or intimidated by the big group of guys he lived with. When the bar closed the big group of us all walked back to our complex.

On the way back they were walking behind me and I heard one of the guy's friends tell him "Hey, what's up with that guy (referring to me). He's kind of weird", or something like that. The guy who had been talking to me all night defended me by saying "Nah man, he's really cool, relax", which made me happy. We got back and all agreed to meet up and go out again sometime soon.

We never did.

--
    Flash forward till today. I'm in a pizza shop getting lunch when the guy and one of his buds walk in. He saw me instantly and said hi. He even remembered my name and I felt bad that I didn't remember his... But we got to talking again, just small talk this time, about how it had been a while since we hung out, school work, stuff like that. The conversation lasted like 2 minutes cuz I was in a hurry and had to go, so I said "see ya later" and left. It felt a little impersonal leaving like that.

So now I don't really know what to think. On one hand he's really cool and I want to be friends with him. I live right across the courtyard from the apartment complex my friends and him live at, so I have seen him outside occasionally playing soccer and stuff. My mind keeps going back to the bar trying to remember any details to see if I can pick up on a hint that he might be gay. I mean, he seemed pretty interested in what I had to say. He seemed pretty straight though, the type of guy who would have a girlfriend. Is it just because I never have had someone take that sort of interest before that this one stands out so much? I've never even had a crush on a guy like this before.

I might just be over thinking this.... what do you think?

2. BudderMC

I think this probably has a bit to do with it. I could go into a psychological explanation if you want (a couple probably, now that I think about it), but to put it simply we are often more attracted to people who are attracted to us.

For standard failsafe advice: if he's a cool guy, then go befriend him like you said you kinda wanted to. If he's gay, that info will show up sooner or later, possibly after you reveal yourself to him. If nothing else you get a friend out of it.

3. insidehappy

there is not enough data here to determine his sexuality. my advice is next time you see him outside and if he is alone just say what's up and strike up conversation. if you have his name you can also facebook friend request him and message him that way. proceed wtih caution and just be a friend. assume he is straight and do not act differently unless you have more data to suggest otherwise.

4. Kirakishou

Sounds like he's just being friendly, really.
    Do you have a crush on him? Usually our minds jump to looking for hints right away when that happens.
    Just start hanging out with him and see how it goes.