1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Point of life?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by LaplaceScramble, Feb 29, 2012.

1. LaplaceScramble

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So before anything else I should probably say that I'm not suicidal. I don't plan on hurting myself or causing harm to myself.

That being said I'm not really able to see the point of anything anymore. Basically I don't really see the point of anything I do in life. So....ya, guess that's it. Felt like sharing in case someone could tell me what that means, cause I'm getting tired of trying to figure everything out.

2. Ridiculous

There isn't any goal of the universe. There certainly isn't any purpose for the extended chemical reaction that we call life. If there actually is some sort of goal, there isn't any currently observable evidence for that goal existing.

Nihilism doesn't need to lead to despair, though. In fact this viewpoint can be a powerful motivator when you realise that you can pretty much do whatever you want without having to live up to some expectation. You've got to set your own goals rather than looking for someone or something to set them for you.

3. cheshire

Out Status:
    Some people
    I had a depression 2 years ago and I guess thinking this way made it happen, because I could no longer see the purpose for anything, I had no motivation to do anything ,I sometimes even stayed at home for the whole day, because going out seemed pointless.
    But as Ridiculous said nihilism can be powerful motivator, so I pulled myself out of depression, thinking that while I'm alive I better be happy and if I fail trying being happy I could just return to my old state ,because after all there's nothing to lose. Even if I mess up my life completely while trying to be happy it doesn't matter after all ,because nothing is permanent. And I keep the idea of suicide as possible option if I reach ultimate bottom.(I'm not suicidal tho, it's part of my philosophy I guess).
    But trying to be happy gave me new goals in live and pursuing them while working out through my problems made me feel so much better. It took me a lot time and psychological efforts tho.
    I still get get extreme mood swings from time to time, but most of the time I can live with it.

I don't know if anything I wrote makes sense to you, I suppose some parts looks like rambling, but it's hard to write down such thinking.

4. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    you have to find purpose, sulking won't do it. You have get out there and find what you want to do with this crazy ball of shit, called life.

5. Lewnatic

These kinds of depressive thoughts have nothing to do with sexuality. There is no profound point to life, it's what direction you point it in that matters.

6. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    At the risk of sounding pithy, finding your purpose in life is your purpose in life. Life is for living. If you're overly caught up in the "there's no point" aspect of it, you may simply be suffering from depression. It's a very common sign, and just as common to think the rest of the world is blissfully ignoring the questions that you're pondering.

Lex

7. IrishJ

Starting your day with a simple good morning to a stranger might just be your life's purpose. Finding a way to spread even a sneezes worth of goodness into this planet is my suggestion. If it means recycling a plastic bottle, or taking a deep breath. There is beauty and goodness if you can allow yourself to be open to the experience. 46 is way different than 19, but really it's not. Just try and find something that will give this moment meaning to you and go from there. Suicide is bullshit. I have lost so many talented friends in the years, we all feel that crap at times. Glad you are reaching out here.

8. Merlot

The point of life is to reach your full potential. -Oscar Wilde-

9. Christiaan

Christiaan Guest

Protracted anxiety, followed by a traumatic episode related to that anxiety, then followed by what was ostensibly frustration. Now...not quite listlessness, more...a sort of philosophical, introspective sense...ah! Pensive! Mild physical exertion can normalize blood flow near the hippocampus and similarly affected CNS regions. Nuchal stimulation under warm water might help, but can't say for sure. Essentially, do some walking and getting of fresh air, and try taking a warm shower once in a while and letting the water hit wherever is comfortable.

Okay, and the best interpretation of the "meaning of life" question is simply, "would you investigate the color red to find out whether it has a particular odor"? When you look for purpose in your mere existence, you are looking for purpose in the wrong place.

This problem can be remedied by putting something in your existence other than your mere existence, such as things to which "meaning" has an actual applicability. Essentially, contribute something to your existence to which to concept of "meaning" is more pertinent. Try volunteering to support a charitable cause, perhaps, if you have time.

Therefore, your feelings are perfectly normal, I think. Also, in the pursuit of your quest for meaning, be sure that you keep good health, do things to "pamper yourself," don't let semantic confounds impede your philosophical pursuits, and try searching for things in your world that might impart upon your day-to-day life a sense of purpose and accomplishment. That is my suggestion, anyhow.

#9 Christiaan, Feb 29, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  10. TriCube

The point of life is living. What do you do when you're alive? You live. You've only got one life, so no room for regrets.

Either that or 42. Beats me.

11. LostInLA

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Where would be the fun in life if you knew it all? Some people think they know it all but they just annoy those around them.

Life is about the journey, the people you meet, the friends you make and the places you go. Fulfill your dreams and maybe some fantasy's along the way.

Bi to Canada, do you just want to sit in a black room or go outside and live in the colors? Well do ya?

#11 LostInLA, Feb 29, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2012