1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I Tell My Friend Or Not?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by TheAMan, Feb 29, 2012.

1. TheAMan

Lately I've been telling my close friends only that I'm bisexual. So far, I've struck gold as all of my friends have accepted me. However, out of that group of friends, only one doesn't know I'm bi. No he doesn't know that I've told everyone else in our group.

Yesterday I asked him if he could keep a big secret. You know just to feel him out a bit. He told me that he didn't want to know what it was. That gave me the feeling that he already knows but I could be mistaken.

I've held out on telling him because I'm afraid that he will be the one to reject me. I can't explain it but I just believe that he won't accept me being bisexual. On the other hand, it's not fair that everyone else in our group knows and he doesn't and he hasn't been a bad friend either. Plus I want to be able to be comfortable around my friends and I don't have that comfort right now.

So my question to you guys is should I tell him I'm bi or just keep it a secret from him?

2. Maxis

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's okay not to tell him. He already said he didn't want to know, and you offered to tell him anyway. If he doesn't want to know, then it's okay. :slight_smile:

3. Cascade

Congratulations on already telling and being accepted by the majority of your close friends!

As some people will probably say, if he doesn't accept it and outright rejects you then he wasn't really that good of a friend in the first place.

You have the support of most of your friends, and who can you be comfortable with but your closest group of friends? I would probably tell him; you've gone this far to be comfortable, no point in stopping now.

That being said, you can't just yell out a secret to a friend who doesn't want to hear it.

4. MrJayfroo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I would say; tell him,
    When he said that he didn't want to know what it was, could he have meant that he is just not very good at keeping secretes?
    Also, like couver86 (from youtube) told me; don't think of protecting other people when you come out, It's about you! You shouldn't not tell your friend at your own expence and let your self feel uncomfortable just so your friend is happy. He may not even know, he may have thought you were going to say something else?

If you skip to 1:48, he gets to the point. I'm not entirely sure how to use the you tube thing, so I hope it works

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R___pi1BiQ[/YOUTUBE]

:goodluck:

#4 MrJayfroo, Feb 29, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  5. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! After what you have mentioned in your post, I guess my question would be: why do you want to tell him?

So, before you go out and start talking to him, find, in addition to the reasons you have already mentioned, one or two reasons as to why it would be beneficial for you that he knows. Do the benefits outweigh the potential reaction and perhaps having to deal with a fallout that you might not be ready for (yet).

Give it some thought!

6. stupidIvan

Congrats on the results from you other friends! It's always nice to have pals that like you no matter what. :::: )

Hold out on telling him, if you feel that's what's right. If your gut tells you he won't exactly react in the best way, then listen to your instinct. Though he IS your friend; I wouldn't hold out on him for too long, it's not good to be dishonest with your friends and even go as far to "tease" them with information that they may not know about you.

I would scout it out, and then tell him! Good luck, friend!

7. TriCube

If he's in your closest group of friends, he'll probably find out eventually. If it were me and I know he'd react negatively, I'd hold off on telling him. If he asked, I'd tell the truth. If he finds out on his own or one of your other friends, at least he will know, and there won't be an awkward air around you from the conversation you would otherwise have to have. This way, he can ignore it like it's nothing, but still know. Since the rest of your friends are cool with it, he'll keep his thoughts to himself.

8. gleekfanatic

gleekfanatic Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I say that you're reading into too much...I give you props for asking if he wants to know a secret of yours, but if he says he doesn't want to know, then don't say anything. But if you really want to say aomething to him, then ask him if what he said means that he's not at all that good at keeping secrets....

Oh, ooops, just realized others have replied, basically saying the same thing.. :lol:
    Well, just do what feels right to you. I know you'll figure something out.

9. Stew Bum

Stew Bum Guest

When I was in high school I had a friend who was very close to me. We did everything together. We used to sit in my car in his driveway and talk for hours when I would drop him off. One night he confessed that he was gay, which was no surprise, and that he was into me. I wanted a relationship with him, but I turned him down because I was not comfortable with my sexuality. Anyway, our friendship changed a little, but not much. We continue to be good friends to this day, and in fact he is the only one I have come out to. So, I say take a chance. Remember, he's gone through coming out as well, and if anything, from what it sounds like, he'll be a friend who will support you and help you through the process of coming out.

10. TheAMan

I think you have given me the best advice so far. Not that everyone else didn't have great points either but yours hit home the most. Scouting seems like the best idea right now. If he's serious about not knowing, I won't tell him.

---------- Post added 29th Feb 2012 at 07:12 PM ----------

I really have thought about it and I want to tell him because I feel like he has the right to know. I've been lying to him this whole time basically and I don't want to lie to him anymore. To be honest, the risks outweigh the benefits and they did when I told my other friends too. But so far the ball has been in my court so I'm gonna keep on shooting until I miss.