1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i need to stop procrastinating

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Kso1995, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Kso1995

the title pretty much says it all, i procrastinate waaaaaaay to much. any tips on how to bear this awful disease

2. Adam123

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have the same problem! We covered my procrastination in some therapy I had, but it was basic things like organizing a timetable/schedule and organizing activities with how important they are.
    However, some useful information we covered is that 90% of students questioned considered themselves a procrastinator, so it's not uncommon at all!
    I'd just suggest not letting things build up, I find if I set myself realistic targets, like doing an essay over a period of a weekend, doing only an hour a day or something, once I've started it soon rolls into 2 hours, 3 hours etc. The problem is initiating the work, so organize things in advance, and just try to get on top of them at your own pace. Don't worry if you don't stick to a target you've made, we all don't, but as long as you keep setting new ones and push yourself, you'll eventually find the willpower!

sorry if this is not the sort of response you were looking for!

all the best

3. TyRawr

Board Member Full Member

I sometimes set reminders on my phone, or draw a dot on my hand to remind me of something. Another good thing is to have a check system with a buddy. I own my own business, so my business partner and I often go through once a day and talk about everything we did, and what we need to still do, and then try to get those things done the next day to get caught up.

4. Kso1995

Thanks for your replies :slight_smile:

5. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Maybe not super helpful, but I always had this way of forcing myself to get interested in the thing I was procrastinating about. If I could get interested enough, focusing on it suddenly wasn't a problem.

Could also get rid of things that are distracting you - uninstall a game from your computer, turn off your internet (gasp!), etc. It will all be there when you get back. :slight_smile:

6. I know this is an answer that nobody wants to hear...but I was a HUGE procrastinator back in the day and only one thing ever helped. Now I only mildly put things off.

Organizing would last the first few weeks of school each semester, then I'd fall back into my old ways...

Until I started to fail things. And then it got worse and worse. And I shaped up because procrastinating was ruining everything I wanted and it no longer seemed like it was okay or worth it.

I'm not suggesting that you don't try some of the above options (not at all, you definitely should and hopefully those simple things do the trick), what I am saying is that putting the fear of serious, actual failure into you will probably light the fire under your a$$, so to speak. So, remember that. It's not just one paper. It's not just one assignment that you're putting off, it's setting yourself up for habitual failure.