1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out and poor timing

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by JRNagoya, Mar 1, 2012.

1. JRNagoya

I want to come out to my sister via Skype, but due to her work and home schedule, she's a very difficult person to pin down for a private conversation. She's in North Carolina and I'm in New York so I don't know the next time I'll see her personally. I finally talked to her today and we set up a time this Sunday afternoon to Skype. Unfortunately, it's right before she leaves for the evening to celebrate her husband's birthday. So here's my dilemma: Do I go ahead and come out to her; or should I just wait until there's a more opportune time? One part of me is saying this is just a delaying tactic and an excuse. But on the other hand, I don't want me coming out to her to be first and foremost on her mind while celebrating her husband's birthday. I'm more inclined to just wait despite her erratic schedule. Any advice? Thanks.

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! When it comes to coming out there is never a perfect time or a perfect moment. I think your timing depends on as to whether you feel your sister might want to be able to talk to you, and how you feel she might react to your coming out. If you feel that she is pretty supportive and accepting, maybe you don't need to have more time than what you would have with her on Sunday.

That said, if you feel you would like to be able to talk to her for a while afterward and also give her a chance to respond, maybe wait until after the birthday party. Try to set up a Skype session with her where the both of you have a bit of time, and also nothing planned before or after it. Having more time, might be good actually because it also allows you to take the time to tell her what you feel you would like her to know.