1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So your done school...now what?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by squally89, Mar 1, 2012.

1. squally89

Hi Everyone,

I think for the most of us, a large chuck of our lives have been "set" by our parents, and exterior influences (friends, peers etc). And we spent roughly about 15 to 20 years in school (assuming you started grade 1 when you were 6) and once you are out of school you enter the "workforce".

Personally I was very lucky to have work experience throughout high school and university (co-op program) and when I graduated I had a full-time job. Is almost been a year since I graduated from school and now I work for myself doing consulting work and pursuing my real estate license.

This makes me sound really old to say this, but I wish my career, aka my life was more "stable". Is not that my work isn't stable, is just fact that the industry I am in is sales and it can be tough sometimes.

Yes I do have older friends that tells me that I worry too much and being a 22 year old I shouldn't think about it and just "enjoy" life. I agree, but I somewhat hate being "young" and not have everything I want (haha a dose of my immaturity there...)

I have never been that person who was "lost" and although I would preach about everyone being "work in progress", I secretly resist in believing in that. I believe I am "well developed" and not "lost" and I always know what I am doing (another dose of immaturity there haha).

Does anyone here feel the same way like me? I guess I need to be more aware of myself and admitting the reality and the fact that "is okay" to be "lost" because no one is ever ''not lost" 100%~

2. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you're already on the right track - learning to love the "work in progress" idea is a big part of life, at least from what I've found so far, lol.

What, specifically, are you feeling like you're missing out on? Aside from a more stable career, what do you want?

3. gleekfanatic

gleekfanatic Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Sounds like he wants a special someone. That's what it sounds like he feels like he's missing out on..

4. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Very good point. To be honest I think a lot of people feel that relationships these days can be good things to tie us down for a while but we're all trying to find a career that allows us to be stable or somewhat stable. When we've found that, the next thing is often looking to starting that family or w/e. So perhaps OP, that's what you feel is missing.

On a different note, feeling very jealous because you're life is in a way, further than mine. I'm almost 24, and I'm STILL in school and still not 100% sure where I'm heading....

5. squally89

To Gravity - Is stupid really. I have friends who are much more successful than I am at this age and I feel at times that anything not towards that "success" (which can be financial, status etc) is a step backwards. I was told by my sister that this is the age to find your "passion" and although it might not get you that "success" right away, just ask yourself are you happy where you are at this moment. Stop comparing yourself to others because you are the only one living your life.

To Gleekfantic - Where did you get that from? Your half right...I am scared, actually. I am seeing someone. And he's great, but I don't know how to say this to him (although I did recite my infamous "work" speech to him). This is an insecurity of my and well umm...it makes me feel vulnerable, weak and unattractive to talk about stuff like this. Plus it seems like I have it all figured out, right? I am really great at self reflection and analyzing what I need to do. Self sufficient - lone wolf style~ (But the fact I am here clearly doesn't illustrate that)

To Revan - There's nothing wrong with being at school. What I learned so far is that everyone has their own journey and is unique to everyone. Being yourself and making choices for you is a lot harder to do, but I think when we do achieve that one day or even for a couple of seconds in our lives that would be an extremely memorable moment.

#5 squally89, Mar 2, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2012