1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My boyfriend has overbearing parents...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Yopiko, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Yopiko

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Okay, so this is the deal. My boyfriend accidentally (I'm not honestly sure if it was or not) told his parents that he's dating me. Well, of course his parents are huge homophobes, and now in short I'm banned from going to his place, or touching him (I'm not even exaggerating. No touching whatsoever). They're also convinced he's confused. Now, I know it's not likely that I can change their minds, but how can I work around this? Help and advice much appreciated.

2. Jonathan

If it was me, I would just completely ignore them. Their rules are utterly ridiculous, extreme and bigoted. By reacting insane like that, they would have lost my respect and I don't listen to people I don't respect. If you're banned from their house, you're banned from their house, not much you can do about that...but they can't tell you not to touch your boyfriend.

Honestly though, if they reacted so badly to their son telling them that he was dating you, it will probably take them a very long time for them to get used to the idea of their son being gay. Besides, it's not like they will actually come to school and watch you two :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

#2 Jonathan, Mar 1, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  3. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How does your boyfriend feel about the situation? Have you spoken to him?

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Both of the previous posters have good points. Your boyfriend's opinion in all this is most important. If he isn't willing to stand up to his parents, then the relationship isn't going to work. And, depending on his age, his parents could do something crazy like send him to straight camp or something.

It's sad that parents don't understand that this isn't something changeable and their child needs "fixing." But most, in time, come to understand and accept the truth. It's just a matter of whether that takes days or months (or longer.)

In the meantime, the two of you have to decide what's next. Openly defy his parents, sneak around behind their backs, or break up. Those are really the only three options.