1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I get a little advice on dating over here?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by koffeeaddict, Mar 1, 2012.

1. koffeeaddict

koffeeaddict Guest

First! Lets start out with the dancing banana (!) because it's awesome! So now onto the questions... I am sure that people ask this all the time but there aren't a lot of other places I can go to ask this.. Is there some trick to gay dating that I have been left out on? Like maybe a club that I forgot to join? :shrug:

The reason why I ask is because of my dating life. It has been consistently non-existent. I am 27 and have never had anything close to a boyfriend and not because of lack of interest on my part!

As for some background... Have my act pretty much together. I have a nice apartment. Nice things... Never been arrested... :eusa_naug I have traveled quite extensively to many countries and speak more than one language... I am a pretty positive person and happy. Generally people think I am funny. I don't think I am bad looking. I am also quite accomplished for my age. I am finishing my second computer engineering degree in the next year. :thumbsup: I have put myself through college and still manage make rent and a car payment while saving a bit... I have been rather successful professionally as tech staff at my university and the CEO and founder of a web company that is starting to take off... I have been published 4 time thus far as an artist... (nothing big, just a local publication) I have always been a little heavy but not abnormally so and yet no luck. Though I am getting a little heavier as I get older.

I don't understand it... :confused: I guess I don't really have a lot of gay friends but I have never wanted for friendship. I keep hearing that gay death happens at thirty and for the past few years I have been coming home alone am getting closer to thirty... To be honest I have had a couple of "buddies" but those never led to anything...

I am okay with being alone but am a little worried that I will be for a really long time... Many of my friends have started "family life" and it seems that I have been completely left out on that whole spectrum... When I was younger I went to the clubs, bars and many other gay oriented places (Columbus, Dayton, and Cincinnati are nearby) and have just never received any interest. I have very supportive and wonderful str8 friends and am actually going on vacation with "the guys" next week... For the life of me I can't seem to and never have gotten any interest? Is there something I am missing (other than abs carved by angels) or is it just me? My gay friends seem to date quite frequently and I just don't understand it all all? I feel like I am missing something, like there was a signup sheet for joining the gay community that I completely missed out on? :dry: Did someone forget to tell me something? Maybe I am not very good looking and no-one wants to say it? :icon_redf I guess I am just wondering if there is something wrong with me that I don't know yet? Anyhow I know this was really long winded but any advice would be great.... Hope to hear from you soon!

Thanks ahead of time,

Confused in Ohio :help:

#1 koffeeaddict, Mar 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2012
  2. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Perhaps you should try a dating website. When I was going through a difficult time in my life with accepting my sexuality, a friend of mine suggested it. It actually worked! I'm normally a little shy, but I met my soon to be girlfriend on there. I'm glad to hear, well...read that you're doing well for yourself, that's always a plus as well. Good luck!

#2 pinklov3ly, Mar 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2012
  3. TruffleDude

The gay and 30 thing is something that I have heard as well. But I don't believe it. In regards to dating and such, older gay people have told me "if you want to fall in love, wait until you are 40." Depending on the person the 30's can be another adolescence, or like most peoples 20's. It is what you make it.

4. Carpe Diem

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    koffeeaddict, I'll just throw in some general advice (that worked for me) and some guess work. I apologise in advance if my guesswork is completely off.

From your post, you seem to think highly of yourself (nothing wrong with that, confidence is sexy:icon_wink). However, people like you (and me, for that matter) usually set a rather high expectation for our ideal date. If we set our bar lower, it would be easier to find someone (well, it worked for me). Then again, I only have a casual date now (never had any serious relationship, maybe because I am not really searching for one right now).

lol, I think I'll keep an eye on this thread. It doesn't hurt to know more about the do's and don'ts of dating.:icon_bigg

Good luck with your search!

5. Ridiculous

I think this is an important point. If someone were to come up to me and list off their accomplishments like you have done here, I would be intimidated and probably not very receptive towards them. Confidence is sexy, yes, but there is a limit - a degree of humbleness is much more attractive in my opinion.

I'm not suggesting you do do this, as obviously saying it in this forum thread is a completely different circumstance, but it is something to keep in mind.

#5 Ridiculous, Mar 2, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  6. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do you know what you're looking for in a man? Tell us.

Why is this a +?

7. Carpe Diem

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    lol, good point! :lol:

Me likey my bad boyz.

8. edjixxx

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Okay......I hate to say it, well, maybe not, but if you came to me listing all that, at 27, I'd think you're a liar. Id be looking more for personality, not how many ways you seemingly put yourself in debt. Another thing, others list it as confidence, I look at rattling all that off as low self esteem and searching for acceptance. Just my penny's worth of thought.