1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lets all go SHOPPING!!!!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Robert, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm going to be giving most of my clothes away to charity today so I will be motivated to buy some new good looking clothes. The only thing is, I totally suck at clothes shopping. So, I need your guys' help! I literally need EVERYTHING. I can handle the socks fine by myself :slight_smile:p) but I need you all to help me with the t-shirts, shirts, jumpers, coats, jackets, underwear, trousers, accessories ETC

[YOUTUBE]pUZRF8afEYM[/YOUTUBE]

Can you recommend any good clothes shopping websites? Any good clothes in particular? Can you give me advice on what type of clothes would/wouldnt suit me? If you can help in any small way at all, it would be appreciated :slight_smile:

Just a side note: I would like some of the clothes that I wear to subtly indicate that I am gay. Also, I like clothes with political messages. Neither of these things are necessary but just thought I'd throw that out there :slight_smile:

LETS DO THIS!!!

#1 Robert, Mar 2, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  2. Ben

Ben

I hate shopping too! <3

Here're the shops I use for clothes (they all sell things online, yaay). I usually dress pretty plain, maybe with a touch of jazz: Topman, Asos, H&M, Uniqlo, BHS… and I can't think of any others. But try those ones out!
    As for clothes that would suit you, I have no idea xD I just don't like carrot fit trousers or scoop neck t-shirts. They both scare me.

3. Jim1454

What the hell is a carrot fit trouser? (I know, I know... I should google it.)

Everyone's style is a little different, as is everyone's budget. I would buy all my work clothes at Harry Rosen (a high end men's wear chain here in Canada) and all my casual clothes at Banana Republic - at least that's what I'm liking these days. But the reality is I can't afford to.

I try shopping at Winners as often as I can - which I think is the Canadian equivalent of TJ Max in the US. I find brand name stuff for almost half the regular price. For really casual stuff I also like American Eagle - and the price is usually right there as well - especially if the stuff is on sale.

That's going to be your challenge if you're trying to replace your wardrobe all at once. You might not find things on sale. I can't remember the last time I paid full price for an article of clothing. (Well - maybe I did for the suit, shirt and tie I bought for our wedding. I couldn't wait until the item I'd found went on sale. We were intent on buying things that were similar but not exactly the same - so when we found them we had to buy them.)

So happy shopping! I've grown to enjoy shopping - especially now that I've lost weight and feel good about how I look. It still amazes me when I fit into a size 32 waist. 2.5 years ago I was finding my size 40 pants too tight!

Edit: I'm seeing that you live neither in the US or Canada - so not sure what the equivalent stores would be in the UK...

4. Ben

Ben

Big at the top and tight at the ankles. Apparently they're becoming more popular. I guess they can look okay, but I think the more exaggerated kinds are just odd looking…

[​IMG]

:/

5. Jim1454

I did go and look it up, but the example provided didn't look like that! Yuck.

So I'd agree. The look above is something you SHOULDN'T be going for! But that's just me.

6. nydtc

Wow - carrot fit pants - GOOD GOD I AM OLD!

I do love White Chicks! So dumb that is funny!

7. Pilgrim is hot

man I hate those carrot fit trousers (didn't know the name before lol), number one if a cute guys wearing them you can't see there butt and number two like everyone is wearing them now.

In terms of shops, I like H&M as they are good prices and have some really cool clothes, Primark is good if your okay with sifting through mostly rubbish to find one gem of clothing for dirt cheap and gap is good if you want something smart to mix with casual outfits.

8. Jim94

carrot fit <-- I want a pair of those :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Ummm...I never buy online cus I just dont seem to find the right size.
    And if you find a webside , post the link here and I can sugest some clothes.
    Just so you know I have a "different" taste :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

9. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You look very much like a preppy sort of guy, I'd say look at things like H&M, American Eagle, Hollister, that sort of thing. At least in my opinion.