1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What to do about my parents

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by girlboyari, Mar 2, 2012.

1. girlboyari

girlboyari Guest

I've only come out to two people so far, and I really want to tell my parents, but at the same time, I don't. First of all, my mom is overemotional and overreactive, and I'm pretty sure that if I tell her I'm bigender, she'll freak and just be in denial. Second, my dad is huge on religion, and even though he says we should love everyone blah blah blah, I'm pretty sure he's a homophobe. He freaked when I told him that I was going to our schools gay straight alliance club, and started attacking me with bible verses. Yeah, like shoving the bible in people's faces is going to help, dad. I'm especially worried about him, because my cousin Jenna is openly lesbian, and has a girlfriend, and ever since he and my stepmom found out, they've been ignoring her and pretty much bashing on her everytime her name comes up. I want my parents to know about me so I don't have to hide it from them anymore, but I kind of don't want to tell them because I'm scared, and I'm pretty sure that both of them will hate me for it. Advice please?

2. Jim1454

Well... Same advice applies here as to anyone.

Come out to people when you are confident that you'll be better off being out than you are being 'in' the closet. If you're quite certain in this case that the quality of your life will deteriorate by coming out, then perhaps it's wise not to. All the while you're living at home and dependant on these people, it might be best to keep them in the dark.

I wouldn't say this if you didn't have such hard evidence of their reaction to non-straight people.

Conversely, if keeping it a secret makes you feel worse than you think you'll feel being out to them, then come out and see how things go.

3. Toneth

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm with jim, if you have a viable backup plan for living situation, go for it, otherwise discretion might be difficult but necessary in order to continue to live at home without stressing to death. either way best of luck, and don't let it drive you nuts, the older and more independent you become the easier it will become, and in the meantime build a circle of friends you can trust, it makes everything a LOT easier.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd suggest being really cautious... though your dad would have to be pretty dense if your revelation that you're going to a GSA didn't make him wonder about you, so the cat may already be at least partially out of the bag.

We have a couple of members here who have had really, really bad experiences coming out to religious parents, so before doing so, I'd suggest you make sure that you have a backup plan in place.

5. Loras

This sounds like quite a scary situation to be in!! my suggestion is to build a group of supportive people who know about it before coming out i believe it helps alot.

6. TheAMan

If they bash on your cousin then I don't think they will take to kidnly to learning that you're bi. I know you're their daughtr and all but I have a bad feeling they won't take it well. You might want to hold off on telling them for awhile. Wait until you are no longer dependent on them then tell them.

7. Carpe Diem

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I don't see the need to tell them right now. I suggest keeping it under wraps until you're no longer financially dependent on them. Just focus on your studies and as Toneth suggested, "build a circle of friends you can trust".

Don't stress out! See a school counselor if you have to or just rant over here.

8. Paper Heart

I'm going to echo the sentiments of everyone above. Do not come out if you are afraid that they will kick you out or send you to a "Pray-Away-the-Gay" camp. Your father has shown an obvious distaste for LGBT, attacking you with homophobic rhetoric. I would advise against it. You mention having a step-mother, so you may want to test the waters with your mother, just to ensure that you will have a back up living plan in case your father finds out. And it would be wise to have a third in case both react negatively.

Instead, take the time to get your circle of friends close, you'll probably end up leaning on them a lot. You should, in my opinion wait until you are financial and living independently from your parents. Rejection from parents, particularly religious, as I've seen, has affected people extremely negatively. It will suck being in the closet for a few years, but just know that you have EC and your GSA for support.

Best of luck!