1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How To Approach The Subject...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by LdSlnce, Mar 2, 2012.

1. LdSlnce

LdSlnce Guest

I don't know how to make it any easier for my mother to understand what I mean about liking girls and boys - without the sex. Maybe I should just drop it and leave it be, but it's starting to offend me how she just assumes it's the media influencing me by making me "curious." And then the way she doesn't really let me explain what I mean! She always interrupts and twists my words.

It's getting to the point where I'm tempted to just tell her a fantasy I had of a girl. A former friend. It was really the turning point for me - as far as my sexuality. And then I want to tell her that I've been having these feelings about girls since I was a little kid. I always liked them for some reason...

Which she doesn't understand. She says that she doesn't get how I can't stand being a girl (I'm freaked out she's onto me about my gender), but still manage to like girls. It doesn't add up to her. When she says she feels it's wrong for two girls to be together, I want to tell her that if I get with a girl, it wouldn't be wrong! But that may be too much for her right now. It may be too much for anyone I know.

This may be stupid to write about, but it's starting to get to me. Mostly because of what our family doctor said; I'm still hiding something. I almost fainted when she said that! But yeah, just curious if I should drop this subject with her or try to help her understand what I'm saying. And if trying to help her understand is the way to go, how should I go about it?

2. secretguyX

It's not stupid at all. If you're mom isn't giving you the chance to explain yourself when you're talking, just go up to her one day and say I need to talk to you. And explain everything you want to - about not just wanting sex, about knowing forever, everything - and don't let her interrupt, if she does just keep talking. Because it seems it's the only way it will get through to her. She may need a bit of time to accept it. But do you want to tell her about your gender? Because she feels it's wrong for two girls to be together. But if you're FTM, that wouldn't be the case anyways.

3. Toneth

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    it sounds like she is in denial, and I would give her some time to digest it, but whenever she brings it up, be clear, concise and consistent, eventually she will come to accept it, but it might take a while, meanwhile live your life, and she'll catch up with it when she's ready. I'm sure she loves you, its just hard for parents because from the time you're born they have this vision of how they think you're going to be and of being a grandparent and all that stuff, so it makes it rough for a while, but eventually she will come to terms, she just needs to break through her own emotions and misconceptions first.