1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you romance a guy?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Christiaan, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Christiaan

Christiaan Guest

I see a lot of people on here struggling over having feelings toward someone of the same sex and not knowing what to do, and I think that it would be interesting if we could get together and share our ideas and experiences as far as earning the affection of people of the same sex. We don't get very much of an idea about this while we are growing up, so I think that gay guys and lesbians can be more "stranded in the mud" than straight people usually are, which is already pretty difficult.

It's one thing to ask how a man would win over a woman. The traditional-minded sort of person would tell you, "oh, send her some flowers" or, depending on where you are with her, maybe "take her to a romantic dinner." Those things might or might not fly with a guy, but I think that we can do better than that.

In my experience, the dinners work for me, but I personally would be turned off by a fancy, foo-foo French restaurant. If a lover takes me out for ethnic stuff, I like for it to be something that he is knowledgeable about and able to make conversation about. However, if he knows of a cool Irish pub in town, that's just as good. Something I think talks to the psyche of a lot of gay guys is a sense of authenticity.

However, I've also found that it helps to make myself a bit less threatening and kind of lower boundaries. I think that a lot of men might have trouble with this concept, but it's okay to be a bit of a kid when you have some private time with your partner. Your worst puns, any ridiculous story you can think of, doing a silly dance, or anything that helps break the ice and lighten up the mood makes it easier for someone to be open with you. It's this kind of stuff that causes a guy to start talking about intimate details about himself.

Finally, I think it's charming when a guy tells me the stories about various knick-knacks he has lying around the house. That's part of why I like hoarding antique crap my parents don't think has much worth. If I have the story behind it, it's something that I can talk about. It's something that might bring back memories. It's one thing if someone has a glass sculpture sitting on the coffee table. After we've had a few drinks, though, a good conversation would be about where it came from and what was going on at the time. It adds a bit of magic to things, for me.

Anyway, I don't know if any of that helps much, so I hope some tips or little anecdotes from all around can shed some more light on this subject.

#1 Christiaan, Mar 3, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  2. TheAMan

I'm a guy and the best way to romance me is be yourself and don't pretend to be someone you're not. I like you for you, not who you want me to think you are. Secondly, to break the ice, talk about stuff that us guys like. Sports is usually the best thing to talk about as it's a low risk subject and one 99% of men love to talk about. Another way to romance me is to make me laugh. If you think you got jokes go ahead and tell one. Lastly, don't be afraid to throw in a few compliments every now and again. Our confidence might not be as high with the same sex so even the smallest compliments can lift spririts.

3. IanGallagher

I fall for girls more. I rarely fall for a guy over a girl.

With that said, the guys that I do fall for more than a girl? It's by seeing how kind hearted he is. Basically just saying be a really cool, chill, down to earth guy, who radiates goodness and someone will be drawn to that. That's basically the only thing that makes some guys stand out to me over girls which is saying a lot (Kinsey 1-2 here). Just pure 'innocence' I guess.

4. fatalmoon91

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    hmmmm adventure. i'm super attracted to someone who feels adventurous and i don't mean just going to the woods and hiking around type adventure. i mean someone who can make anything and everything seem like its another adventure from getting lost to walking up stairs to anything else you can think of. every time you do something it should be fun and exciting or the world would turn to some black cloud of boredom.

5. Carpe Diem

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    This is starting to sound like a "how do you romance me?" thread but me likey it. :grin:

Well, being spontaneous, adventurous, funny, honest, etc.; these are common traits that one (including me) hopes for in a partner and it is obvious from the previous comments in this thread.

So, I'll highlight something that hasn't been, and is of particular importance to me. I'd like it if he's observant and attentive. I'd like it if he remembers the tiniest remarks I made and do something about it afterwards. I'd like it if he notices my behavioral patterns and quirks and point it out in an attempt to humour me at the right timing.

This might not be what most gay dudes like, but for me, simple is best. Fancy restaurants aren't my thing. I prefer a poor attempt of a home-cooked meal. That's something we can laugh at during the date. :grin:

6. Countervail

My best romance would be, walks on the beach, sunsets, something like that. :slight_smile:

7. Metal

A cold beer in one hand his favorite action movie in the other.

8. Christiaan

Christiaan Guest

Metal, I think I like your response best, but I would insist on the beer being a local organically brewed beer, preferably with enough hops in it to get you high. The movie can be low-class, though. Shoot 'Em Up would do, a Tarantino film if we were feeling classy.