1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So very confused

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Chierro, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So only I've been having a good school year, except for my anxiety at the beginning of the year, I'm good. A total contrats to last year. Anyways...
    I just recently came out to my friend Nate, who's two grades older than me. Now here's the twist, he's a total homophobe. Things are good though, he's accepting me for me since we're good friends. Now here's my problem...
    He makes a lot of homophobic gay jokes, especially about my friend Alex who's straight. Any advice on this, how should I nicely get him to stop without getting mad?

2. TheAMan

I would just sit him down and calmly tell him how you feel about the remarks he makes and that you would deeply appreciate it if he would stop. If he's really your friend, he'll stop.

3. gleekfanatic

gleekfanatic Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I agree. You just need to tell him how you feel about the jokes. Although if he really is your friend, he would have stopped the moment you told him you're into guys...

4. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I tried tha, he just said that's his religion to hate gays, he's a christian. I find that total bull**** especially since one of my best friend is Catholic and he's fine with me being bi. Hell he even congragulates me when i take bigger steps in coming out and helps give relationship advice. So Nate and I have agreed to disagree on the subject.

5. jimL

Tell him that religion shouldn't teach hatred....it should only teach love and acceptance. God loves everyone no matter what. God made all of us just the way we are. And if he really believes in god he won't take it upon himself to judge others. Good luck.

6. WeirdnessMagnet

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Wait... He's telling gay jokes about STRAIGHT guys, has an actual bi friend, and says it's all his religion? AngSoc Party is deeply interested in recruiting this plusgood doublethinker. Tell him we have excellent tea and biscuits.

Snark aside, it's of course, obvious, that it's not his religion, but that perceived threat to his precious manly manhood gays represent in his mind and/or convenient excuse to indulge in a bit of bullying that is an issue. I wish there was any safe, quick and sure way to make those types see how silly the whole thing is, but there isn't any. I'm not even sure abot a dangerous, slow and iffy one.

7. TheAMan

I don't know what kind of Christian religion he believes in but that's complete bull. I'm a Christian too and Jesus does not tell us to hate gays. He told us to love our neighbor as we do ourselves. Your friend needs to go back to church. Anyway, I think it's great that you guys have agreeded to disagree. It's for the best right now.