1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Excited but nervous

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Starshine16, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Starshine16

Getting ready to tell my mom. I know she loves me no matter what and I know she'll be totally accepting of me. The two of us have always been extremely close and I know I can tell her anything.

Why then do I feel so anxious?

2. Cascade

Everyone is anxious telling people something that will alter their perceptions of the person they think you are. Even if you know things will go well, it's still frightening.

Congratulations on having the courage to do this!

3. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Coming out to parents or family can be nerve wrecking. As Cascade mentioned, it is frightening, even when we know that people around us are accepting. Letting go of something that is so personal, is hard. This is the reason why people often talk about relief, or having weights lifted off their shoulders, after they have come out.

Before you talk to your mom, tell yourself: 'it is going to be okay. I know my mom is accepting, and loves me no matter what.' Then sit down with her, and try to talk to her. Sometimes, being in your favourite spot in the house can help in making you feel more at ease. If you feel ready, go for it!

4. jimL

Telling my parents was the hardest........it just because of the loving bond that you have. I'm sure it will good for you. Good luck