1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planned Parenthood Transgender Services

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Olive, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Olive

Today at my school we had a 'body shop', which is basically walking around a gym visiting different booths dedicated to different things. One booth was dedicated to Planned Parenthood, as we have a center in town. I have known that they did this for a while, but I never looked into what exactly they did. Does anyone know exactly what it is that Planned Parenthood does for trans people?

2. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Planned Parenthood is all about preventing unwanted pregnancies and STIs which usually applies to anyone regardless of sexuality or gender identity.

I do know for a fact that most people that work at planned parenthood have gotten trained on dealing with LGBT issues including trans issues so they should be able to answer any questions you may have.

Any specific questions about them that you may have?

3. Olive

Well, I was just wondering if they could refer me to a good therapist who cares about what they do nearby, if they could get me cheaper hormone therapy or antiandrogens, stuff of that sort.

#3 Olive, Mar 5, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  4. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

They should be able to give you some resources when it come to finding a trans friendly therapist. Do you know if there is an LGBT center around your area or a trans support group? That's probably your best shot.

As far as HRT goes, that can only be done by a doctor since its a very delicate thing to deal with.

5. Olive

To my knowledge, there aren't any LGBT centers near me. And I know HRT is a delicate thing, but I thought that maybe they had resident doctors that administered this stuff for cheaper.

6. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

^ From what I know, its very unlikely that they will have a doctor on staff that deals with things like HRT treatments. They mostly only concentrate on STIs and birth control.

That being said, they might be able to point you in the direction of a doctor that might be able to help you out. I would say go ahead and give them a call :slight_smile:

7. DhammaGamer

A general physician can prescribe hormones, but you need to convince him to do so. Typically having a letter froma therapist is considered requisite for most physicians. I had a hell of a time finding a physician nearby who would even talk to me about hrt let alone prescribe for trans-related issues.

You're still young, and if your parents are not supportive of your transition, and there is no local lgbt center, you are going to have difficulties. I'd suggest keeping healthy, workign your ass off at some job, and doing AMAZING at school so that when you graduate you can go to college at a city or somewhere out of state where you will have greater resources available.

It's shitty, I know, but if the resources aren't available, you have to make do with what you can until they are.

btw, as far as I know, PP does not offer much in the ways of trans-related medical assistance ... in fact, not a lot of places do unfortunately, finish school, save EVERY dime you earn, and get ahold of an LGBT center

Good luck =)