1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I have to give a speech

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by beckyg, Dec 31, 2007.

1. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    OK, if my week wasn't already hectic enough. I was asked to give a speech at the candlelight vigil on Wednesday evening, the day our domestic partnerships were supposed to go into effect. So I am up in the middle of the night. The only time I have peace and quiet enough to think. I've written a speech but I think I need to expand on it a little more because its kind of short. I'm going to post what I have here and if you guys have some suggestions, please do tell! I need help!!!

Hello and thank you for coming. We’re here today because we are discouraged. We are hurting and we are outraged. Today is the day when we should be celebrating commitments and families. Today is the day that same-sex couples finally should have been able to protect their loves ones by forming legally recognized relationships. We have worked long and hard for this day. People took the day off work to be at the courthouse to get their domestic partnerships. Ceremonies and parties were planned.

This past weekend my husband and I celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary with our children, family, and friends. My mind was not far from thinking about my gay and lesbian friends and how they have struggled for many years to have the same basic rights that my husband and I take for granted. My husband and I have the “straight privilege”. With a simple marriage license, we are able to make life-saving decisions for eachother and our children in times of crisis. We have never had to worry about our children being taken from us if one of us should lose our life. We have never had to incur expensive legal fees for simple protections that a marriage license grants. Domestic partnerships right some of these wrongs. To be able to protect our families is a basic human right and it is no longer acceptable to deny these rights to our GLBT loved ones!

As we are grieving, we should remember all is not lost. It is no longer legal in Oregon to discriminate against our gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender loved ones! This is a huge step in the fight for Equal Rights. All people should be treated with dignity and respect no matter their sex, their race, their sexual orientation or their gender identity. Nobody should be fired from their job, forced out of their home, or kicked out a restaurant because of their sexual orientation or gender identity. This we can celebrate!

My own gay son came out to me on Martin Luther King Day. In October, I had the opportunity to attend the PFLAG National Convention in Washington, DC. I was in awe as I stood on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial where Martin Luther King gave his “I have a Dream” speech. I looked to this great man for inspiration today. Civil Rights movements have never been easy and the gay rights movement is no different. We take two steps forward and one step back. The important thing to remember is that we ARE moving forward. Domestic partnerships didn’t come today but they WILL come. We have made significant advances in Oregon and in the United States. This is a battle that is not won in a day, a week, a month, or even a year. Please keep the faith. This is a set-back but it is not permanent. To quote Martin Luther King “*Power at its best is love implementing the demands of justice. Justice at its best is love correcting everything that stands against
    love.” Thank you!

2. biisme

i think it's great!!!!!!!! it's so uplifting!!!!

3. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Thanks biisme!

This is the updated version. I got my friend Tim to help me.

Hello and thank you for coming. We’re here today because we are discouraged. We are hurting and we are outraged. Today is the day when we should be celebrating commitments and families. Today is the day that same-sex couples finally should have been able to protect their loves ones by forming legally recognized relationships. We have worked long and hard for this day. People took the day off work to be at the courthouse to get their domestic partnerships. Ceremonies and parties were planned.

This past weekend my husband and I celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary with our children, family, and friends. My mind was not far from thinking about my gay and lesbian friends and how they have struggled for many years to have the same basic rights that my husband and I take for granted. My husband and I have the “straight privilege”. With a simple marriage license, we are able to make life-saving decisions for eachother and our children in times of crisis. We have never had to worry about our children being taken from us if one of us should lose our life. We have never had to incur expensive legal fees for simple protections that a marriage license grants. Domestic partnerships right some of these wrongs. To be able to protect our families is a basic human right and it is no longer acceptable to deny these rights to our GLBT loved ones!

As we are grieving, we should remember all is not lost. It is no longer legal in Oregon to discriminate against our gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender loved ones! This is a huge step in the fight for Equal Rights. All people should be treated with dignity and respect no matter their sex, their race, their sexual orientation or their gender identity. Nobody should be fired from their job, forced out of their home, or kicked out a restaurant because of their sexual orientation or gender identity. This we can celebrate!

In October, I had the opportunity to attend the PFLAG National Convention in Washington, DC. I was in awe as I stood on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial where Martin Luther King gave his “I have a Dream” speech. Ironically, my own son came out to me on Martin Luther King Day. I looked to this great man for inspiration today. Civil Rights movements have never been easy and the gay rights movement is no different. We take two steps forward and one step back. The important thing to remember is that we ARE moving forward. Domestic partnerships didn’t come today but they WILL come. We have made significant advances in Oregon and in the United States. This is a battle that is not won in a day, a week, a month, or even a year. The setback we’re facing today is a simple reminder that it is in the hearts and souls of many otherwise good decent people to want to protect their values as they see them – against anything they don’t understand, anything that’s a little different from the way it’s been in the past. Religious oppression is as dominant today as it has been in other civil rights movements including giving women the right to vote, allowing people of color the freedom to pursue good jobs and allowing interracial marriages. Please keep the faith. This is a set-back but it is not permanent. We need to look at today’s injustice and see it for what it is, unacceptable, wrong, and a terrible impeachment on human dignity and worth. We need to gather the strength to be inspired rather than beaten by it. We need to commit ourselves to the ongoing struggle. To quote Martin Luther King “*Power at its best is love implementing the demands of justice. Justice at its best is love correcting everything that stands against
    love.” Thank you!

4. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

That is brilliant Becky!

5. Hydrogen

Wow, I already admire you Becky, but now I really do. That is awesome.

Good Luck!

6. Ty

Ty Guest

I thought both versions were really good :slight_smile:

7. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Thanks! If I end up on TV, I'll post the link. :slight_smile: I'm sure the media will be there.

8. step49x

Wow, that's a really great speech. It's short, but sweet. I can't think of anything you should add.

9. Quitex

Quitex Guest

Beckyg, This is superb. I hope media is there. This is The speech and the world should all read it.
    Best of the lucks!

Pst. Im in my workplace - no more fear of letting them now I'm gay, YAY!

10. SpikySpice

Wow Becky that was great wow, i hope you will be on TV :grin:

11. Nodnarb

Great job on the speech Becky! Brilliant writing!

12. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Thanks guys! I just found out there is going to be city leaders and state senators there. Now I'm really nervous. :eek:

13. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

You'll be fine, Becky.

Read it out loud a couple of times though to make sure it flows OK, that you don't run out of breath halfway through sentences and that there is no wording that could trip you up. Slight tweaks such as breaking sentences into two, adding commas or swapping a couple of words can sometimes make things easier to read out loud. Maybe breaking it into more paragraphs would prevent you losing your place too.

14. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Good advice Paul, I will do that.

15. Nodnarb

Funny....I just made a thread about being scared about speeches....

16. Nicknikko

omg yes it is!
    You should record it and upload it on youtube so we can all enjoy from it! ^^

17. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

This is from working in an American corporate for a few years and having to give presentations (often complete with the dreaded PowerPointless slides). I soon learnt that rehearsing and tweaking is vital.

Your tend to use shorter sentences anyway (unlike me who could waffle on for 40-50 words per sentence) so I think that aspect is OK.

18. BlasttheCloset

Well good luck becky. I think that is a really amazing and powerful speech at either length. But rehearse it as much as possible in front of other people to help with the nervousness. You're going to be great, and that really is an amazing speech.

19. panda

Great thoughts Becky..

20. s5m1

Great speech. I am sure it will go well. When giving a speech, I usually print it out in fairly large font (around 24 point) to make it easier to read. I also break up my thoughts into well spaced paragraphs, double spaced, so that they are visually easy to read. Sometimes, I will only put one paragraph on a page. I then three-hole punch the pages, even if it is short, and put it into a small three-ring binder. That way, there is no the pages will get out of order. Good luck and let us know how it goes.