1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by kylegf2011, Mar 7, 2012.

1. kylegf2011

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    After alot of thinking (an awful lot :dry:slight_smile: Ive decided Im going to tell a friend. She´s a very good friend of mine, and Im sure she´ll understand, but I just dont know how to say it. I dont know how to slip it in the conversation, or if I should tell her I need to talk to her about something... what should I do?? What tips would you give me, how would you doi it?? (or did you do it :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:) Im very scared that Im actually thinking of doing it, but Ive been thinking abou it alot, too much, and I think I should do it (also if you think there´s no need to come out at all please tell me) thx :slight_smile:

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there!

I think it would be perfectly alright to say to her either out right: "I would like to talk to you about something. It's been on my mind, and I would like you to know. I'm gay..."

or,

you can also be indirect by simply stating that "increasingly I have been thinking about what it would be like having a boyfriend. You wouldn't be able to help me in finding one, would you?"

It doesn't really matter as to what you say or as to how you come out. You don't need to talk explicitly about your sexual orientation, just mention things to her that make it clear that you are not straight.

You can create an opportunity for yourself too, where you can talk to her, by inviting her to a coffee shop or going for a walk, and then talking to her about yourself.

Being nervous and scared is okay, and it is a part of coming out. Before you come out to your friend, stand in front of a mirror and say out loud "today, I want to come out to my [mention friend's name]" and see how you feel. If you feel good about it, chances are you are ready. Before you actually talk with her, take a deep breath and remind yourself of what you have written in your post. She is a good friend, and you have the feeling that she will be accepting.

3. Lebowski45

Hey there. If you feel like you WANT to come out to her then you totally should. As for how? I'll be honest, I was completely hopeless coming out, in terms of going about telling people because I'm not good at talking about personal stuff. I told a lot of people through text for that reason, at the end of the day it did the job. It doesn't really matter how you do it, as long as the other person gets the message then you've achieved the aim.

A good way is saying something to prompt them to ask you.....like you could text her and say, "hey, can we hang out later, i wanna tell you something" or something like that. Then when your with her she'll ask what you wanted to tell her. That way you're given a good chance to tell her. It seems silly almost, but I found saying the words "there's something I want to tell you" made me tell people, because there was no going back. I knew if I could say those trivial words I'd be able to do it. And I did :slight_smile:

Its natural you're gonna be nervous and scared etc, it was always like that for me. The relief afterwards however more than makes up for it in my opinion. Just do what makes you feel most comfortable and I'm sure it'll be fine. All the best and let us know how you got on :grin:

4. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'd tell her via email or IM. Good luck whatever you decide :thumbsup: