1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ibanez1993, Mar 7, 2012.

1. ibanez1993

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Each day, I keep feeling really close towards telling someone that I'm gay/bisexual (unsure). I just can't though. I feel like they wouldn't treat me the same, like me as much, etc. I'm in my last few months of high school, and I feel like I should just wait till summer or college. I just really feel the need to tell someone/multiple people, but I just can't do it. I tell myself, that if I can't now, how will it be different in a few months?

Has anyone gone through this or can anyone give me advice

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Don't put too much pressure on yourself. Keep in mind that you have already come a long way. :slight_smile:

From what you have mentioned, it sounds like that you are ready to start coming out to others. Depending on how accepting the environment is where you are, or whether how accepting you feel your friends would be, maybe think about one person, like a friend, who you know that you can trust, and know would support you. Why do you feel that the people to who you want to come out to treat you differently?

Most of the time, friends or people who you come out to, don't usually look at you any differently. All you are doing is just telling them about another part of yourself but it doesn't change anything fundamentally about yourself.

If you feel that there is a person to whom you can and want to come out, say out loud to yourself: "I want to come out to this person/friend." Try to gauge as to how you feel. If you have a good feeling and feel you are ready, maybe try talking to that person. If you feel squeeze or feel something isn't right, that's okay. Give it a bit more time.

That said, sometimes, an opportunity to come out presents itself, and it just happens because you are in a moment where everything comes together, and you realize that this is the moment. Maybe a part of you is looking for a few more clues and hints for such moments where you know and can reassure yourself, that it is going to be okay.

Every time you think about coming out to someone, or feel "hey, I could talk a friend," you are one step closer to taking that step.

3. jimL

High school can be brutal. It's always good to have someone to talk to. Is there someone you can trust to not go blab it all over the place. College might be a better alternative but only you will ultimately know when the time is right