1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Making Impressions

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Messed Up, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Messed Up

Messed Up Guest

Hi,

I’m going to a school function tomorrow for the LGBTQ community. I do want to branch out and meet new, kind, caring, and interesting people.

How do I break the shyness barrier and put myself out there? How do I attract good people and make new friends? How do I make a great and lasting impression?

Being myself seems to be shy and wallflowerish- how do I stop/avoid that?

2. Toneth

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    just introduce yourself and try to say hi to a couple people, you'll be just fine, these are the friendliest gatherings, don't worry about it :grin:

3. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Often, in situations like that, they provide some way for people to meet everyone else - you might be in some kind of group discussion or whatever.

Take pride in small victories. Instead of standing on the edge of the room, go get something to drink at the table. Share something about yourself that you normally wouldn't. :slight_smile:

4. TyRawr

Board Member Full Member

It may come across as disingenuous if you go as anything but yourself.
    Perhaps just take some risks and be the first to say hi, and tell them who you are.

Your better then you give yourself credit for Im sure. Remember that you have to think highly of yourself, because the world takes you at your own estimate.