1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rejection

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Silver Sparrow, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Silver Sparrow

So , I'll start with background.
    I really enjoy musical theater, and when I heard that my school was doing Fiddler on the Roof, I was super excited, as it is one of my favorite shows.
    Yesterday, I went to auditions. I thought I did pretty well, and I didn't think the other girls there were that good, although I may be biased:icon_wink.
    I didn't get an email last night, and when I got to school, one of my friends was being congratulated on being cast as Golde. I knew that the email went up, so I rushed to the computer lab to check.
    I didn't get cast, and a bunch of the girls who I thought weren't that good were. :tears: ensued, and I had to go back to homeroom with my eyes bright red and my breath still shaking. Everyone saw, and a bunch of people tried to comfort me. I am an odd person in the way that things like that make me just feel worse. I should be able to deal with these things myself.
    My hands were still shaking when I went to my first class, and my teacher suggested I go to the counselor. I didn't want to do that because a) I hate the counselor with a :***: passion, and b) talking about my problems doesn't usually help. I usually have to distract myself.
    Yeah, I just feel so horrible... I feel the need to hurt myself, but I can't go through with it, and I never have.
    I wish i was a stronger person.

2. Toneth

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    hun, be realistic, life will continue to roll on, take that negative energy and turn it into motivation to get better so you can get cast next time. its good to let it out and deal with your emotions, but don't dwell on it, you gotta pick yourself up and move forward

3. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sometimes things can upset us more than others, and for no obvious reason, the more you get at yourself because you dont think you should be upset the harder it will be, just think ok I got upset, but now im going to move on and keep yourself well distracted.

4. Maxis

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That was one audition out of thousands, millions in the world. Don't be so hard on yourself. The time will come. Think of this as practice. As motivation. As inspiration. Not as a failure. Every failure leads to success. :slight_smile:

5. colorful

I agree! Even if you go to an audition and don't get cast it's okay because you got your's name out there and showed that you are interested. Also it will make future auditions run more smoothly. Don't let it get you down. Can you help make costumes or behind the scenes? That's what I do if I'm not cast.

6. greeneyes

As a fellow singer, our lives are full of rejection, mostly for stupid reasons. I can't tell you how many times someone worse got cast. Sometimes it's just because the director envisioned them in the part. Sometimes I didn't look the part. Sometimes they picked the singing actor over the acting singer. When I was that age, usually people were cast to give them experience, to give people a chance to have fun, etc. I was in a show in middle school where on purpose they cast shy people as leads and confident people as ensemble members.

I also know that sometimes even when you're good if you sing the wrong song or don't sing it the way they want the part to sound like that's a problem too. In high school I audition for all of the big chorus solos in these masses when I was by far the best and recognized as such. I didn't get them and this girl who went horribly flat did. That was because my voice is really full and loud and they were looking for a bright straight tone-ish sound because the material was mostly masses and English pieces for sprightly voices. Then I decided to affect that and sing more like that, and then I got the solo and nailed it. After getting rejected 4 times, I then got 1 big one. A lot of it was also political.

Also in Fiddler it's not a singing show, and most of the acting is lame. I've also seen it cast where they pick people who are more Jewish-looking - the reality of theater. And, let's face it, the women sort of suck in that show. It's all about Tevyah.

In short, you can't take it too personally, though it's extremely hard not to. Best to keep you're head held high because it will make you feel better if you keep a good face on. You'll get a lot more opportunities, don't worry. Also, when I wasn't really getting much out of specific departments, I started my own group and was much more fulfilled.

That was my long-winded way of saying theater can suck sometimes but to keep going for it and not let anyone get you down.