1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This is it...I'm going to come out.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Nemo39122, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Nemo39122

So basically, I'm getting to that point where I want to be more open with the people in my life. I've put alot of thought into coming out to one particular friend, because she's one of my closest friends and I'm almost certain she would be totally accepting. Hell, she might already know.

We go to the same karate school, so we see eachother almost every day, for several hours at a time. It's spring break, for the karate school too. That's why I think now is a good opportunity to tell her. I'll have a few days to stop freaking out before I see her again, which will help me (and her) act like nothing has changed, because it changes nothing...just adds more honesty to our friendship.

So yeah...I think I'm going to tell her, the earlier in the week the better. The problem is I'm still really closeted (really only out to one person) so this is still a really big scary thing for me. I feel stupid asking this, but I'd really, REALLY appreciate some encouragement or advice from you guys. Like I mentioned, coming out is still a bit of an unfamiliar territory for me and despite really wanting to tell her, I'm really freaking out. The first person I came out to actually asked me, so I didn't have to bring it up...so in that sense I've never had to figure out how to bring it up and tell someone. Anyway, I'll stop ranting now. Any support or encouragement or anything would be so awesome...thanks guys. (*hug*)

2. Starshine16

First of all,congratulations to you for preparing to take the first step in making your friendship a more honest one. It is so scary to consider coming out. Especially to a close friend. First of all breathe. You will feel a ton better once you've done it. Secondly, I'd take some time to really consider what to say. I'm sure that's all you've been thinking about. I can tell you my verbal vomit today wasn't how I expected to come out but it did take a lot of the anxiety out because I just came out without allowing myself to think about it.

Most of all, good luck. All of us here at EC are rooting for you (&&&)

3. Carpe Diem

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Coming out to someone whom you will be seeing everyday certainly is a risk but since you're certain she's cool with it, then my advice is "Go for it!".

Just remember to stress on the fact that this is a secret. She's good at keeping secrets right?

Try to keep the mood light when you're coming out to her. People generally don't respond well to waterworks. Humour works wonders.

Be prepared to be bombarded with lots of questions. She might get inquisitive. Feel free to decline any of her questions politely if you aren't comfortable with it. Remember that this is mostly about you, not her.

You can always rehearse your coming out but the real thing will throw a few curve balls so be prepared to go impromptu. So don't waste too much time rehearsing as it might not be useful at all when the time comes. Just relax. That's the most important thing.

Good luck! We're cheering you on! :grin:

4. greeneyes

I recommend looking at the Coming Out section. There are a lot of amazing stories there and a ton of suggestions.

I've come out to a lot of my friends. None of my friends cared. Mostly I slipped it into conversation (always in one on one situations). A couple times I said I want to tell you something, though with me personally I'm better with casual than with emotional build-up. I just say go for it. My advice would just be - it's perfect timing, it sounds like the perfect friend to start with, and it feels like the right time for you, so get this off your chest.

5. Nemo39122

Thanks for the replies everyone :slight_smile:

As far as being good at keeping secrets, I don't really know from personal experience if she is or not but I trust her. She really isn't the type of person that would go around telling others anything like this. I will try to keep the mood light and add a little humor, which won't be hard because we're the type of friends that tend to be so goofy we worry people. :lol: I still want to be serious about it though, because I am coming out as bi and I tend to worry about people taking that seriously.

So I'm hoping to tell her tomorrow. Today I'm going to just try to work up the courage and figure out how I'm even going to bring it up.