1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Step dad

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by nintenfreak92, Dec 31, 2007.

1. I really wish I could be closer to my step dad, I have known him all my life, I personally think he is better than my biological dad. I hate it now because we seem to have drifted apart these last few years, we have argued a whole lot more and I don't like it I wish we could be close again.

2. JayHew

In Loving Memory Regular Member

Sometimes as we grow up, especially in our teen years, we view things differently and have different priorities than the rest of the world it would seem. This can lead to strained relationships, especially with those we care for a lot. It is a process and one that we all go through and yes, teens are self centered, selfish, etc. but that is more because they are trying to establish who they are and where they fit. That basic personality we all formed by age three and submerge is now at the time of puberty reemerging, so what we had before is not necessarily what we have now.

The best thing I can suggest is to be honest with your step dad and have a sit down chat with him and for you to let him know exactly how you feel about him and how important you feel your relationship with him is. Many are the times when such opportunities are passed up and the end result is an injured relationship instead of a healthy growing one.

It might surprise you to know, likely you step dad feels the same as you.

What the heck, give it a shot, what have you really got to lose? But what do you have to possibly gain?