1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out Via Text?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by secretguyX, Mar 12, 2012.

1. secretguyX

Is this a wrong way to tell someone? It's not that I don't want to tell my friend in person. I just don't have much of a chance to, and I want to soon.
    To make it simpler:
    Friend who I've already told - E
    Friend who I'm going to tell - A
    E told A that she had a bisexual friend after I came out to her three months ago.
    Today, E told me that A had been still wondering about a week ago who this friend is, since I haven't told her yet.
    I really want to tell her, but we only text and see each other in gym. I can't really tell her in gym without other people overhearing. I don't want to wait until we hang out, because it's not really fair for me not to tell her either. I trust her and she deserves to know, and I want her to. Is texting her impersonal? I was thinking of just doing it tomorrow morning before school, so if she wants to talk about it at all she can in gym.

2. Maxis

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I say as long as it's your friend it's fine. I think it might be a bad idea to come out to your parents like that, but if you're coming out to your friend it should be fine. It's just with parents it could be more serious and require some serious steps. But for friends it doesn't have to be super super personal, you know what I mean?

3. colorful

I came out to my friend via text and she was totally fine with it. The thing is I definately feel like I need to talk to her more in depth about it. I think it sounds like a good idea to text her before school so she can talk to you at school.

4. King

King Guest

Anyway you are comfortable and works best for you is a good way. Don't EVER let anyone dictate what is and isn't a good way to do it.
    Coming out via text is excellent if that's what works for you :slight_smile: x

5. TruffleDude

I'd like to point out that like emails, text messages can be forwarded.

Also, you say you can't tell her in gym, because others will overhear, but then you say that she can talk to you about the text, in person, once you are in gym class together. It seems like you don't want to tell her in gym, but are okay talking about it in gym. Do you see why I find this confusing?

Lastly, what is the big hurry? Why tell her in the morning tomorrow, rather than waiting a month or two, or less, until you can talk about it in person and in private outside of school. Have your friend spend the night, and talk to her then.

#5 TruffleDude, Mar 12, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  6. Andane

I don't see the problem in coming out that way. In fact, that's pretty much how I first did it. But I did it more because I didn't have the guts to do it face to face, although once I did, I was fine talking about it. So yeah, if that's the easiest way for you to do it then go for it :slight_smile:

7. dairyuu

Honestly, as long as you trust that person, coming out by text can work well. I came out to my first ten or so people over text, and it worked fine. Good luck!

8. secretguyX

Thanks everyone for your thoughts! :slight_smile:

I told her today, but I didn't text her anyway, I was too nervous this morning. I just told her in person when I saw her in the hallway. She didn't care at all, not that I thought she would. She just hugged me and said, "Aww, I still love you!" and to not worry about it. So everything's great :slight_smile: