1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

coming out book?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by commandZ, Mar 12, 2012.

1. commandZ

Hey can anyone recommend a good book that may be helpful to someone who needs some encouragement in coming out?

Thanks.

2. TruffleDude

Yes I can. For me part of the process involved changing negative internal perceptions of what it means to be gay/bi.

The Cass Model of Identity Formation is a classic on the coming out process, and it talks about there being two coming outs. The first is acknowledging and accepting a gay/bi identity in yourself, which normally begins when someone recognizes same gender attractions. The second coming out is the social coming out, when a person comes out to those around them.

Here is a link to the Wikipedia article on the Cass Model. For a more in depth read, I recommend using Google scholar to search articles related to the Cass Model, or if you have access to a University Library use that, as the articles will be free, and more will be accessible.

For books I'd recommend, Is It a Choice. 3rd Edition.

And, Finally Out: Letting Go of Living Straight.

The International Homosexual Conspiracy is a funny, satirical look at the gay culture and gay counter-culture. It makes a joke of what most people think gays are all about, and helps to remove, and make light of, those internalized homophobic ideas.

All are available on your Kindle App, which you can get on a computer or ipod, ipad, etc now.

I'd love to hear what you think about them when you finish.

3. commandZ

Thanks so much. I'll definitely check out those titles. Hopefully it'll give me the little kick in the arse I need.

C

4. stilllovelyafte

Hey bud! Where have you been? Seems like you dropped off EC for a while. Please shoot me a note and let me know what's been going on.

I second the recommendation of Finally Out. Dr. Olson's book really opened my eyes and began my period of personal exploration. While I'm still stuck in limbo and trying to figure things out, I've taken steps to open up my world that were previously unthinkable.

Another amazing book - The Best Little Boy in the World - it's about a conventional, clean cut sort of guy who had to come to grips with not having a "conventional" sexual identity. It's short and an easy read.

I read another book - the other side of the closet - which I did not love though there were some stories in there I enjoyed.

I also have watched a few good movies of late - check out Weekend on netflix. I found it to be pretty good.

5. needshelp

outing yourself: how to come out to gay or lesbian to your family, friends and coworkers. to me, when i read it, it seemed very insightful. more how to get comfortable being in your own skin and being gay in a world that will not accept you and forgiving those people because they don't understand.

but as for questioning yourself, i can't help you with any books about that.

#5 needshelp, Mar 12, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  6. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I second "The Best Little Boy In the World". I read that years ago and it was really meaningful for me.

Joe Kort's "Ten Smart Things Gay Men Can Do to Find Real Love" is probably the best book I've read on coming out, accepting and loving yourself in the process, and really understanding what's going on during the process. It's out of print, but you can find used ones on Bookfinder.com, and there's a large-print edition on sale at Amazon.

It's not a light and breezy read, but I think you'll find it will speak to you and touch you with what's going on. I've read most of the books mentioned in this thread, and those two are my personal favs.