1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What will happen if I entered the adult world as gay?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by kunglaomksm, Mar 12, 2012.

1. kunglaomksm

I mean I always think that I will be the one to help my parents after I graduated in college and help my younger brothers. It's just no matter how I think I'm clueless of what's gonna happen in the future for me. I mean what would happen if I came out, I'm not only one coming out but including my family. Even my parents say that just wait for me to graduate and then I can do whatever I want, but honestly I don't know what to do.

2. TruffleDude

What you do with you life is completely up to you. Gay, straight, closeted, out, purple, or green.

3. Caoimhe Fayre

I can see that you live in the Philippines, and I don't know the culture there... are people accepting and supportive, in general, there?

I raise the question only because I like to assume the best intentions from people, and I hope your parents aren't meaning to smother or oppress you - I hope they are meaning to protect you.

Even so, you still need to be the one to decide what is right for you as far as being closeted or not closeted.

*hugs*

4. kunglaomksm

Actually many gay people are living openly here in the Philippines, but they are those who are the stereotype ones and majority of the people only knows that gay people are all "bakla" as we call it(from wikipedia:A bakla is a gay man who displays feminine mannerisms, dresses as a women, or identifies as a woman. The term itself is not the equivalent of the English term "gay", but bakla are the most culturally visible subset of gay men in the Philippines. They are often considered a third gender, embodying femaleness in a male body.The term bakla is sometimes used in a derogatory sense, although bakla people have largely embraced it.Bakla individuals are socially and economically integrated into Filipino society and are considered an important part of society. The stereotype of a bakla is a parlorista, a cross-dresser who works in a beauty salon) Same sex union is NOT recognizable here in the Philippines but there is a party on the government composed and lead by LGBT's. Our current president even acknowledges homosexual relationships but he's not sure about gays adopting and stuff.
    SO if I will come out, the word will spread quickly especially to my whole extended family and that worries me since NOBODY in our family openly lives as a gay man(relationships and all) and that worries me since only my parents understand me and If I come out, I don't think my parents could handle all that pressure of having a gay son.

5. silkfrog1292

The situation's pretty similar here, it's one thing saying "accepting homosexuals" while looking at them on television, but when one's own son comes out at gay, that brings a whole new element to the situation, something many families would rather sweep into the rug and not discuss.

I wonder if this would work: not making a public announcement on one's orientation, but indirectly "coming out" by adopting a lifestyle one is comfortable with. I'm planning on doing that once i graduate from university and finacially stable enough.