1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feeling awkward, lonely.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Creamcheese657, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Creamcheese657

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I came out last week to my roommates and it went really good but I keep having this awkward feeling around them like I don't know what to say to them. I don't know how to explain it it's so weird. I want to talk their ears off about what i'm going through but i'm afraid that they might not want to dive so deep into my personal thoughts. I really think too much about what other people think about me.

I thought I could live my whole life with no one at my side and now that I am 25 I realize what a huge mistake I made. I have felt really lonely for the past couple months and that is what was the ultimate decider on coming out. I need someone in my life. Now i have to figure out how to meet guys I have no idea what I am doing. I had a boyfriend when i was 15 and I think about him everyday I wish I could go back to that age and just come out.

Telling my roommates really took a whole lot of troubles off my mind but it is slowly filling back up with new issues and problems. :confused:

2. TruffleDude

Get involved with the gay community. Volunteer, go to bars, work for a gay rights group, join a gay support group.

3. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would say go to community centers especially - bars are not the place I would pick to prevent myself from feeling lonely (respectfully disagreeing with cyanyst here :slight_smile:).

How close are you to your roommates? It might actually be the case that they're just not the ones you should really be talking your head off with - maybe there is someone else you know who will be more interested in what you're dealing with and will be more ready to offer help/advice/a friendly ear? I don't say this to knock on your roommates, it just may not be their department.

I made a similar promise never to be with anyone that I later regretted. Don't worry too much - you've come out and you're being pro-active about being mentally healthy, those are some pretty big steps towards meeting someone. :slight_smile: Give yourself time. In the meanwhile, find a friend to go guy-watching at the mall with. :lol:

4. Creamcheese657

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    you know what gravity there is no other people I would rather be talking to about what is going through my mind right now, thank you for that :grin:

I'm gonna start doing some research and see what kind of fun things I can find to do here in Florida.

Thank you guys for the input and advice I love this place!!!

5. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do you mean you'd rather talk to your roommates than anyone else? Or that you were reminded of someone different that you do want to talk to? I hope I didn't bum you out, but the :grin: is making me assume I didn't. :lol:

Good luck! I hope you find some good places. :slight_smile:

6. BudderMC

If your roommates took it well, then they don't have any problems with it. Keep reminding yourself of that.

Since they're fine with it, there's no reason everything shouldn't be as it was before. Interact however you usually did. The only thing is now if convo turns to relationships, you can chime in about hot guys if you want.

Of course, you're dealing with a lot of coming out crap; we've all been there. I went through the exact same scenario you're going through with my housemate (also my closest male friend, and first person I told, and later realized as my crush... very bad combo, but I digress), and I ended up not saying anything about it after coming out to him for about 2 months... because I was afraid to. He was never the type to talk about his problems or personal life much, but I really needed to, so one day I broke down and asked him for some coming out advice. He replied in a very supportive manner and all that; no problems whatsoever.

Don't make the same mistake I made and underestimate your roommates. If you're unsure about how much talking to them might bother them, test it out. Either ask them directly, or just go about doing it; either way, gauge by their body language, speech, etc. how much they're disinterested in it. If they want out of the convo, they'll start to show it, subtly or otherwise. And really, they're you're roommates; you trusted them enough to tell them about your sexuality, surely you can trust them enough to not be offended by asking a simple question for their wellbeing?

Fun fact: In a recent talk with my above mentioned friend, we sat and discussed both our lives for a solid hour and a half (was supposed to be a quick 5-minute question). He mentioned to me afterwards that he really does need to vent more, and that that convo was a good start. So, things aren't always as they seem. :slight_smile:

7. colorful

I feel the same way now that I told my brother and my friend. I know my friend completely gets it because she has been through the same thing, but I feel like my brother does not. I would definately say discuss it with them. If they are your friends, which I am sure they are, they will really want to hear about your problems.

I would have to agree that you should definately get involved with the gay community. I am (hopefully) going to start going to some things as well. I know that it really helped some of my friends feel like they really belonged somewhere.

8. Mobiusponder

Snipped a bit but basically this. I've just come out to two people, and it was okay, but there's the ... uncertainty. I dunno. It's weird.
    Obviously I'm not super-far-along yet, but don't worry about it, really - they accept it, so it's good. Worry about the other stuff - finding yourself, or that special someone, etc. :slight_smile:

9. TruffleDude

@ Gravity

I don't know why I wrote this. I personally dislike going to gay clubs, or clubs in general for that matter. I'd rather volunteer or hang out at a community center, and actually be able to talk to people and build relationships. Good gay groups seem hard to find though, even in the "Gay Mecca" that is San Francisco.

10. Carpe Diem

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    As for loneliness, I went through the same phase a few years ago.

Let's just say that after I came out to everyone around me (except my family who aren't exactly 'around'; I live very far away from them), things started to change in my favour. You're not putting yourself out there by just coming out to your roommates. You can't actually expect someone to show up at your doorstep just like that.

The previous advices are about right. Stepping into the gay community will help break the ice and ease you into coming out to others. I didn't really meet a special someone at the LGBT support group. I don't think that's actually ethical because a support group isn't a dating group LOL.:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

If you put yourself out there, you'll find that someone or that someone will find you eventually. At least it worked for me.

In the mean time, work on your gaydar.

Now, regarding your roommate issue, you did the right thing by withholding those thoughts. It might be too huge a step for now.

If you need to share it with someone, try the gay support group. If you can't find one, you can always let it out here. I know that talking to someone in person beats talking on the net but at least it's something.

11. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Haha, no worries. For some people it is a good place to go, and on occasion I've found them comforting, in their own way. And it's very true that good community centers are hard to find.