1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Needing some advice

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Jessica816, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Jessica816

Lately life just seems to be getting harder and harder to deal with. Tonight I drove around for about an hour then came home and sat in my car and just cried..These mood swings scare the crap out of me, I feel like im losing my mind. I don't know what's going on with me anymore. When I'm like this I have the urge to cut again. I haven't self harmed in a very long time, so these urges scare me. So I've been thinking about seeking help, yet opening up to someone scares me to no end. One of my issues or questions is do I tell the therapist that I'm gay? Or are there places that have LGBT friendly therapists? Has anyone here been to a therapist and had positive results? Sorry for this rant about my depressing life!

2. TruffleDude

There are LGBT friendly therapists, in fact there are LGBT therapists. I am not sure how old you are, but if you are under 25 all kinds of wacky brain chemistry is going on, and swings happen. I know that probably doesn't help much, knowing that others go through this too. However, there are also medications that can help enormously. That first step in getting help can be scarey, but once you make it you are on the road to feeling better. Trust me, I have been there too.

You decide whether or not to come out to your therapist/prescribing DR. You can do it slowly, by feeling out how they might respond. Or just find an LGBT therapist. The only thing I have heard against coming out to Dr's is that it may end up on your medical records, and companies (read: employers) that offer health insurance may be able to have access to these records once they pay for your health insurance. I know, Dr patient confidentiality, but in this day and age, corporations have a lot of power and access to information - including your facebook profile, which I hear goes for about $20, and doesn't require your consent!

3. TraceElement

Honey, the first step is admitting you need help, and you came here and asked for it. Congrats on taking that step! I am proud of you :icon_bigg.

I have a history of cutting myself, so I can understand some of what you are going through. I initially didn't want to go and get help, but now I'm glad I did, so I can get better. I've been in therapy weekly for about 8 months, and my therapist says I'm doing well enough to go down to bi-weekly appointments, so for me therapy has been working.

I would seriously suggest going to see your doctor to clue them in. They can then refer you to the appropriate servies, which will probably include a psychologist. Make sure that they are a clinical psychologist with a PhD.

Although I don't have a PhD after my name, it seems like you have depression symptoms, possibly with some cycling involved. Since you say that life is getting harder to deal with, I suggest going to see your doctor ASAP so it doesn't spiral downward any further. Get help now from a professional please.

P.S. sorry if this is kind of ramble-y, it's past my bed time :icon_sad:. I'll check back in today or tomorrow to check on you and see if you need anymore help.

4. Jessica816

Thank you for your advice, I know I need help and getting it scares the living day light out me. I guess I'm afraid of being judged by my problems. I'm out to everyone in my life but coming out to a doctor/therapist makes me nervous but I know I need to talk about my issues and some stem from being gay.

---------- Post added 14th Mar 2012 at 01:50 AM ----------

My mood swing scare me the most because mental problems run in my family and I've always been worried it would happen to me. One moment I'm okay and the next I'm my own worse enemy. I managed to calm myself down tonight and not hurt myself. However I'm afraid that one day I wont be abel to talk myself down from doing something stupid. I know I need the help, I need to work on fixing myself and getting to a good place. Yet ill convince myself that I'm okay because I haven't broken down for a few days and then the cycle repeats itself. I just wish I could be "normal".

5. TraceElement

For me, therapy in conjunction with meds has helped me with these problems. While you may not need medication, therapy will help provide you coping mechinisms and find triggers that can send you into the "dark place" where you want to do something like cut. I understand you are scared and don't want the problems. Neither do I. But, with the help of friends, doctors, and family I am managing day by day to get through the rough patches.

I really do suggest you go see a doctor and get a support network in place so you can focus on yourself and get where you need to be, without feeling so alone. Also, come to EC as much as you need. If you are at your breaking point, make a new thread here, message the staff, message me (if you're full member), call a help line, something. If worst comes to worst, go to a hospital and check yourself in and let them know what's going on. We do care about you here at EC, and want to see you succeed :icon_bigg

6. spacemonkey

spacemonkey Guest

Okay... I creeped your posts. But feel an urge to respond.
    You dealt with your urges very well tonight I find... Driving around and also crying, those are both great things to do instead of self-harming. Never feel guilty for doing either.
    I have heard that running prevents the urge to self harm, as both release the same endorphin that (usually) a person is seeking. Have you tried just a little bit of a jog when you feel in these moods? Even at night, with angry music, it can be such a help.
    And also I strongly urge you to admit to your therapist that you're gay. Therapists are used to hearing the weirdest stuff, being gay will be nothing new to them, I can almost promise you that, then again I do not know how "conservative" your area is. Therapists usually become therapists because they have gone through very rough times themselves and have become open minded people. How much of a weight off of your shoulders would it be to admit this to any person, really? As soon as it is off your chest to her/him, it will become a lot easier to admit to any person.
    I remember when I first admitted to my therapist that I was a lesbian, I expected her to freak out. It didn't happen. In fact afterwards I felt like I wasn't messed up enough to see her. Haaha. Therapists go into their job expecting to hear problems and help people feel better, that's all, they will not judge you depending on the problem, I feel as if it is not even in their right to do so.

7. Jessica816

I've actually went to my first a few days ago, and I told her that I'm gay. She like you said didn't care, I'm not sure why I was so nervous about telling her in the first place. I guess I didn't want to feel like I was being judged. Going to see a therapist was a major deal for me, I don't like to open up to many people. Yet I went and it was a odd feeling opening up to someone I didn't really know. I've managed to not self harm in so long so when I had the urge to do it again it scared me and I felt ashamed, she told me this was normal. I'm not exactly sure how I feel about someone knowing so much about me. I guess ill see how it goes on my next visit.