1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finally Feeling Proud of Myself, But..

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by LegitRomance, Mar 14, 2012.

1. LegitRomance

I honestly feel like I've finally done something important.
    But, I dunno if it could turn into a bad thing..

I've been on another site for almost 6 years now, and ever so recently start noticing how intolerant they are of LGBT members.
    (By intolerant, I mean my best friend got banned all because he openly had his sexuality on his profile. Not to mention, we can't even create 'clubs' or even mention LGBT topics in blogs or have anything on our profiles that support it. I find this hilarious because they're so 'against bullying' yet they allow hate clubs and other users to write blogs about homosexuality/bisexuality/transgender people being 'unnatural' and 'wrong.')

So, in a rebellion, I started a petition this morning (we already have 61 signatures) demanding that those rights were to be added onto the site.

But, I'm worried about it because they have a tendency to constantly 'IP ban' me every time I step up and support something. Now, my main worry is on two specific people I'm doing this for. (Both are struggling with the acceptance part, and both are refusing to talk to anyone but me.)
    Is there any high chance of this petition going through? The site itself is a big mess, it was aimed for people 6 - 16 but lately they've been so protective and they're convinced that if they sugar coat things everything will get better.

This is turning into a mini rant, point is, I don't know what I'm doing as of now or if it's bad that I'm doing this because of how inconsiderate the site is and whatnot.

2. TruffleDude

It is interesting to me that you mention this. The public schools in this city couple bullying with LGBT awareness. For example, the kids get "No More Bullying" pins, and pins with the words "That's So Gay" in a red circle with a line through it (like these).

[​IMG]

I guess I always thought the national anti-bullying movement went hand in hand with LGBT awareness, since so much bullying is toward LGBT kids, or those perceived to be LGBT.

Regardless, you did the right thing. Kudos!

3. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, if it gets a lot of signatures, including ones from respected members, very fast... then maybe it makes an impression.

...but I wouldn't hold my breath for it. Websites are not democracies, after all, so a petition has little or no legal value.
    If it's badly ran, by people power-tripping over something as minor as being in charge of a website, then they might just decide to see it as a minor rebellion and ban all those involved. I've seen tons of badly-ran websites where banning was the response to pretty much everything (and who then complained they couldn't get a decent memberbase :rolle:slight_smile:.

Congrats for doing the right thing, and I fully support you making a stand, though. Just don't get disappointed if this instance doesn't result in change.

4. Carpe Diem

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    @cyanyst

I'm a bit lost here. So what's the pin trying to convey? Is it saying that it's wrong to say "that's so gay" or bullying is "so gay"?

Whichever it is, I actually don't mind people using that expression in my presence as they usually mean gay = lame, NOT gay = faggot. Then again, despite being okay with that expression, I never used it. I wonder why? Hmmm....

@LegitRomance

You said that you did it for two dear friends. It's always a good practice to have a backup plan. So, I suggest getting them to join this site, or at the very least, inform them of it. If they don't feel like creating an account here, they can always post anonymously here (that's what I like about this site).

Reality check: I don't think your petition would have any effect. Sadly, I couldn't think of anything to address net homophobia.

Btw, you have nice hair (avatar pic)!:grin: My sis had the same hairstyle a few years ago until she decided to cut it short.:bang:

5. TruffleDude

@ Carpe Diem

It is saying that it is not okay to use the phrase "That's So Gay". When people say "That's So Gay" it is emotionally damaging to LGBT kids, or kids perceived to be LGBT. It is verbal abuse.

Keep in mind that the language people use colors their reality. When people use the word "gay" to describe both your sexual orientation and identity, and something bad, you can imagine the unconscious, or even conscious connection being made. Changing the language people use alters the way they experience the world. If enough people stop equating gay with bad, it will make it easier for people to experience their same-gender attractions with out the whole struggle of coming out.

---------- Post added 14th Mar 2012 at 02:11 AM ----------

I like this idea. If the petition doesn't work, organize a boycott, and have everyone jump ship over to EC.

#5 TruffleDude, Mar 14, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  6. Carpe Diem

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I get what you're saying. I totally agree with you.

I just think that sometimes, people are blowing things out of proportion and we gays are pretty good at it. There are a lot of words that have lost its original meaning or adopted a new meaning but we have no issues with using those words as intended by the new wave. We tend to get really defensive whenever it concerns LGBT.

Having a strong stance in LGBT matters is right, I'm all for it, to show that we not some pushovers. However, sometimes I think we should just let some stuff go. Being uptight about everything kinda ruins everything.

When I first started coming out to all of my friends, the first thing I noticed was how all of them started to be wary of their language and conversation topics. I didn't like that at all. I didn't come out because I wanted some sort of special attention/ or special care. I confronted them and told them to act normally around me as if I never came out to them: talk about chicks, use derogatory terms that may be perceived as homophobia, talk about chicks, talk about chicks, have I mentioned 'talk about chicks'? :grin:

Everything turned out fine and back to normal (except for the fact where whenever they met some hot gay guy, they would tell me:icon_bigg)

7. TexaCali

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "Whichever it is, I actually don't mind people using that expression in my presence as they usually mean gay = lame, NOT gay = faggot. Then again, despite being okay with that expression, I never used it. I wonder why? Hmmm...."

The point is the intention behind the words. I think that using the term "gay" to describe something bad is damaging. In no uncertain it way implies that being gay is bad and that whatever you are describing with "that's so gay" is just as bad (or worse) than being gay.
    The term "lame" is also a shortcut to thinking and I'm sure people who cannot walk are just overjoyed that people use it to describe something bad.
    We have an amazingly extensive vocabulary at our disposal, so there is no excuse to use such terms in everyday speech.
    The phrase is more commonly used among youths, I'll give you that, but even administrators don't seem to care at times. My niece once told me that when she decided to scream "faggot" at her brother in the halls of her high school during break, right in front of a longtime prominent English teacher, this teacher merely gave her a stern look and nothing more.
    The line must be drawn by someone, at some point, and there is nothing wrong with advocating to stop what I see as hate speech.

We don't say "that's so Hebe" or "that's so nigger," do we?

8. TruffleDude

@ Carpe Diem, please keep in mind that even though these words have lost their sting for you, there are other LGBT people, especially youth, who take the message to be "I am bad" when those around them use the word "Gay" to describe something they dislike. You and I also live in slightly different cultures, so there may be something of a disconnect there.

@TexiCali, the school staff in SF is well educated on LGBT awareness. I have never heard of a kid saying this in the schools, and have been involved with them for years. In fact even teachers at the local Catholic Prep school are pro-LGBT. I believe they even did a sympathetic play about Matthew Shepard. Let's hope this trend moves across the US, and the world.

#8 TruffleDude, Mar 14, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  9. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The immediate question that comes to mind is... if the community is openly hostile and contemptuous of LGBT people... why in the world are you on it?

On a practical level, it might be worthwhile to find out who actually owns the community (the website and domain and so forth) and find out what their personal views are. If the owner of the community is a bigot, nothing you can say or do is likely to make any difference. If the owner is a sort of hands-off owner who doesn't really pay attention to how the community rules are enforced, it's possible you can reach him or her, discuss the issues going on, point him/her to some info on gay teen suicides, and maybe some change can come from that.

Other than that, I'd say dump that community and find one that's more supportive. The best way people can vote is with their feet.

10. LegitRomance

I know who the owner of the site is, and they're actually part of the LGBT community, or so they claim.
    It's actually just a few staff members who are trying to teach some of the younger kids that it's wrong.
    I'm only on it because I'm a junior moderator on their forum. I kinda have to be on it, I'm just so sick of hearing about so many kids quitting and even going far enough to attempt suicide - which has happened on the site before.