1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Perfect Opportunity!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by chrisg, Jun 20, 2006.

1. chrisg

Okay, so my father asked me if I was gay...

...and I said no. Damn! Now what do I do? I mean, I've been planning to come out this summer, but now that I've said that I'm not gay, I keep thinking that this will come back to haunt me. Any thoughts?

2. nisomer

Its happend to me before...both my parents asked me at dinner one time...and I denied it. But I think it is still fine to come out to them whenever you feel like it. And if they ask why you said no before, tell them that you didn't want a bad reaction, or you weren't too sure yet, or something else.

3. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

ouch yeah i have lots of them with my friends...never with family tho...dono why, proabbly cuz im not around alot. But yeah, there will be plenty more...trust me...just prepare yourself for what your answer will be next time it happens, have an answer ready. This way you wont choke up and jsut say "no" automatically out of surprise or worry.

4. imad

I think that since he's asked, it means he's given it thought before. Maybe if you decide to initiate the conversation yourself to tell him, it might come as less of a shock because it wouldn't be something completely new in his mind.

How did he ask? How did he seem to be feeling? I think that his emotions at the time might show his reason for asking; wether he is asking to calm his own troubled mind or asking to assure you that he accepts you.

5. chrisg

Well, he was a bit taken aback when he learned that one of my good friends was gay. I thought it was obvious, but my father apparently doesn't have very good gaydar :wink:. When he found this out, he asked if I was gay. His question seemed to be out of curiosity; after all, I'm constantly telling my mother that I don't want a girlfriend!

6. hakeem_uk

hakeem_uk Guest

so far i haven't gotten a good opportunity i don't know why maybe because i can Hind in really well or something but i want the opportunity and i think i will be really to say who i am!:slight_smile:

7. reecematthew

dude well i say get one of them preferably the most understanding but most likely your dad since he asked and just say well you know the other day when you asked me if i was gay well i lied or something it will take alot off both of yalls chests even though they might be upset they will be glad you trust them with such things good luck dude wish you the best in tellen em...

8. suburbs_of_sodom

Northern Virginia...neither here nor there
    yeah, just explain to him that u didnt want to come out to him on the spur of the moment and wanted to make sure that both him and u were ready for it, b/c i mean, it's a justifiable lie and it's perfectly understandable, from a logical perspective, that u wouldn't want to tell the truth in that situation.

9. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would just make it clear to him that you were kinda caught off-guard and didn't want to get into a serious conversation about it with him without having had a chance to prep some. *grin* Apologise for lying about and let him know the timing wasn't right but that you were intending on telling him--you just wanted to do it a little more deliberately.