1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to father.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Elizabeth, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Elizabeth

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    About two years ago, I came out to my mother as bisexual. I'm not sure if she even still believes that, but if she doesn't, it's not too big of a loss since I figured out guys really weren't my thing. Even so, I remember her specifically telling me that "we aren't telling your father about this."
    I have a terrible relationship with my father as it is and I'm scared to come out to him, nor do I know how to do it. Or when. I'm not sure what I'm asking, but I guess how do I know when to come out to my dad and how?

2. Toneth

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    so many questions, but sigh, if you live with him, i would wait until you're out on your own, otherwise tell him now, it'll be the sooner he can get over it, and once he does you'll have a much better relationship

3. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was in a similar situation (regarding my mom and dad). My mom wanting me not to tell my dad turned out to have more to do with her own fear than how he would react - none of what she was afraid would happen when I told him actually happened.

However, one good thing that probably came about from waiting to tell my dad was that we didn't have all that good of a relationship when I came out to my mom. So I'm glad my dad and I were closer when I came out to him. I'm not necessarily saying you should wait years to come out until you have a carefully crafted, close-knit relationship with him, but if things are really bad now it might be worth while to try spending some time with him first and build up some positive emotions between you two.